I have a TCL 55" Roku TV. I have an HDTV antenna connected directly to the TV so I can watch local over-the-air channels. I am experiencing choppy sound on one over-the-air channel (the local CBS affiliate). The picture for this channel is perfectly clear, only the audio is faulty. The other over-the-air channels sound fine.
After significant troubleshooting I believe this issue is specific to Roku's Live TV app. Here are my notes from troubleshooting:
- If I connect a different HDTV antenna to the TV nothing changes, still bad sound from the CBS channel. I have also tried different coaxial cables to no effect. Also I have tried it with or without an amplifier.
- I have the same problem on the two other Roku TVs I own. One of my other Roku TV's is a TCL (same as the 55" I'm writing about), but the other is an Insignia. The same issue is present with the CBS channel on all three devices.
- The audio issue persists regardless if I use the TV's built-in speakers or if I connect a sound bar, which I have tried via bluetooth and optical cable.
- If I connect my HDTV antenna to my RCA TV (not a Roku TV), I do NOT experience any audio problems with the CBS station that gives me issues with my Roku devices.
- I purchased an HDTV tuner (iView 3300STD ATSC Converter Box) that I can connect to my Roku TV via HDMI cable. When I watch the CBS station using this tuner instead of the Roku TV's Live TV app, I do NOT experience any audio problems with the CBS channel. Same Roku TV, just watching the channel on a different app fixes the issue.
As you can see, I have proven that my audio issue with my one over-the-air channel is specific to Roku's Live TV app across multiple devices, that the issue is not caused by a poor signal, and that I can fix the problem by not using Roku's Live TV app. However, it would be cool if I didn't have to use a separate HDTV tuner device to watch CBS. Nor do I want to purchase an HDTV tuner for all three Roku TVs in my house.
I have tried every combination of audio options in Roku's settings that I can find, both in the TV's audio settings as well as the Live TV app's internal settings. I have tried rescanning my over-the-air channels. I have tried a factory reset. I didn't always have audio problems with the CBS channel on my Roku TV, I believe the problems started when Roku updated their Live TV app earlier this year.
If anyone has experienced anything like this before I would appreciate any advice you could offer. I can't be the only Roku customer having this problem.