Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dragonstyle
Reel Rookie

Roku TV choppy audio on one over the air channel

I have a TCL 55" Roku TV.  I have an HDTV antenna connected directly to the TV so I can watch local over-the-air channels.  I am experiencing choppy sound on one over-the-air channel (the local CBS affiliate).  The picture for this channel is perfectly clear, only the audio is faulty.  The other over-the-air channels sound fine.

After significant troubleshooting I believe this issue is specific to Roku's Live TV app.  Here are my notes from troubleshooting:

• If I connect a different HDTV antenna to the TV nothing changes, still bad sound from the CBS channel.  I have also tried different coaxial cables to no effect.  Also I have tried it with or without an amplifier.
  • I have the same problem on the two other Roku TVs I own.  One of my other Roku TV's is a TCL (same as the 55" I'm writing about), but the other is an Insignia.  The same issue is present with the CBS channel on all three devices.
  • The audio issue persists regardless if I use the TV's built-in speakers or if I connect a sound bar, which I have tried via bluetooth and optical cable.
  • If I connect my HDTV antenna to my RCA TV (not a Roku TV), I do NOT experience any audio problems with the CBS station that gives me issues with my Roku devices.
  • I purchased an HDTV tuner (iView 3300STD ATSC Converter Box) that I can connect to my Roku TV via HDMI cable.  When I watch the CBS station using this tuner instead of the Roku TV's Live TV app, I do NOT experience any audio problems with the CBS channel.  Same Roku TV, just watching the channel on a different app fixes the issue.

As you can see, I have proven that my audio issue with my one over-the-air channel is specific to Roku's Live TV app across multiple devices, that the issue is not caused by a poor signal, and that I can fix the problem by not using Roku's Live TV app.  However, it would be cool if I didn't have to use a separate HDTV tuner device to watch CBS.  Nor do I want to purchase an HDTV tuner for all three Roku TVs in my house.

I have tried every combination of audio options in Roku's settings that I can find, both in the TV's audio settings as well as the Live TV app's internal settings.  I have tried rescanning my over-the-air channels.  I have tried a factory reset.  I didn't always have audio problems with the CBS channel on my Roku TV, I believe the problems started when Roku updated their Live TV app earlier this year.

If anyone has experienced anything like this before I would appreciate any advice you could offer.  I can't be the only Roku customer having this problem.

Labels (1)
17 REPLIES 17
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku TV choppy audio on one over the air channel

@Dragonstyle

Thanks for the post.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you futher.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Dragonstyle
Reel Rookie

Roku TV 6114X
TCL Model 55US57-W
Serial # YW00H4732144 (those 0's could be O's, hard to tell)
Software version 10.0.0 build 4209-22
Device ID 8N900H732144 (again, not sure if 0 or O)

The channel is the built-in Live TV channel that came with the TV.  It does not display a version or build like the other channels do.

Tracker ID 44-456-398

Steps to recreate:

1. Turn on TV
2. Select Live TV channel and press OK
3. Set tuner to channel 3.1 (this is my local CBS affiliate)

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
CTH
Reel Rookie

I am experiencing exactly the same problem with the same TCL ROKU TV.  However, it is an NBC station, and all others are fine. I had tried several of your solutions already - sounds like a new tuner is the ultimate solution. Thanks for the nicely documented explanation.

fam3

I'm having the same problem on my ABC local channel. I've tried some of the same things you have tried. Been trying to find someone with the same problem. The choppy sound is more noticeable with music or clapping but it's  there all the time. I will keep checking back for any updates or if i find any info to contribute.

Yack
Channel Surfer

For me, it is CBS-19 out of Cleveland, OH (and all the sub-stations)
Yes, tried rescanning channels.

Following!

CTH
Reel Rookie

I finally gave up and purchased a Mediasonic Homeworx digital tuner (HW130STB - about $30) and the problem was solved. An excellent suggestion by the original poster. However, I now have  the minor inconvenience of a second remote.

0 Kudos
Yack
Channel Surfer

can you still pause/rewind?

0 Kudos
MN1234

Was there a solution to this issue within the Roku Antenna TV app?  Having the same problem with CBS (channel 3.1) where the volume is very choppy especially when there's steady background noise like sporting events.  I'd like to solve this within the app if possible to avoid adding an additional device/remote.  

Vgan

We too have been experiencing choppy, but more often, no sound on one antenna channel 3-1 NBC. Hoping you at Roku will have a solution soon. Thanks.