Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku TV channels not playing

In the last few days, my Roku TV will not connect to channels I already have. If I click on them, it shows an activation code to add the channel and nothing will play. Of course, when I go online to enter the activation code, I can't because I already have the channel. I am not sure how to remove a channel, but this issue likely would not be solved by removing a channel and then reinstalling it(?). The TV is also slow to connect. This TV is an Insignia brand Roku TV from a few years ago and it has had problems connecting in the past, but not like this. Do I need a new TV or is this a solvable issue? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku TV channels not playing

While I can't answer your question, the people that might be able to help will need to know which channels you are referring to. Naturally I expect they all require some sort of authentication, but the names of the specific channels could be important. 
Now, could a removal and reinstall fix it? Certainly could. To remove you use the remote to highlight the channel (don;t hit OK), then press the * button and choose uninstall. After you've done that, you must restart the Roku. Either unplug it or use the system restart option in the menu. Then install it again after the Roku has rebooted. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

What channels are you not longer able to connect to?

Try removing the channels from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channels back once more. Does this clear up the issue you are seeing?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny
Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos

The channels are PBS Kids and Disney Now.
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi,

Thanks for the information. Have you tried removing and reinstalling the PBS Kids and Disney Now channels using the steps I outlined in my previous post and seeing if that resolves your issue?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny
Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos

Yes. That does not fix the problem.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

It sounds like those channels are not currently authorized with a TV provider. Every so often, channel providers require users to re-authorize these channels on devices. 

Have you tried re-authorizing these channels using your TV provider subscription? Have you contacted the channel providers, such as Disney NOW support, to request additional assistance? You can review Disney NOW's help and support site here: https://disneynow.com/help

Let us know what you discover from there. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos