Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Seph13
Reel Rookie

Roku TV can’t stay connected to Internet

This is an actual Roku issue this is not a TV issue. How do I know this? Well let me explain my problem. I have an entire house of smart TVs. I have sharp, LG, Hitachi, element, you name it we probably have it. Four of those happen to be Roku. Those are the only four we have problems with. Not one of them is the same manufacture. So if it’s a manufacture issue then everybody’s having it and the only commonality is they are TVs and they have Roku.

when I turn my Roku‘s off and then back on they will require me without fail to go find the actual remote for the TV since I can’t use my phone anymore because if it’s not connect to the Wi-Fi, phone app I PAID FOR don’t work. So I am required to track down one of the remotes because if I do not it will never connect to the Internet. Then I have to go into one of the either featured free, latest news, my feed or anything other than any of the channels on the home screen. If I select anything on the home screen it screams at me after about five minutes of locking itself up that it needs an Internet connection and gives me two options neither of which are viable.

The other option! To go in and tell it to fix my network. It will then search for my networks that are available and find every single one instantly. It’ll still have my password and before I finish that part it will have reconnected to the Internet. It doesn’t matter which TV I do this on. I am videotape this many times in hopes that you guys would ask me for them. But let me be clear if I have a smart TV and it does not have Roku on it I have never had a problem. Roku I have it several times a day. I like the idea I like everything except the connection. Funny enough two of the Roku‘s happen to be the closest two TVs to my router.  I just don’t understand why every link I find says it’s the manufactures fault but the only commonality between the four is Roku...? Please help.

23 REPLIES 23
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku TV can’t stay connected to Internet

@Seph13 

Thanks for the post.

First off, the Roku mobile app doesn't have a cost, it's free and available to all customers. For more information about getting the Roku mobile app, visit our Support page here: How do I install the Roku® mobile app?

For your Roku TV remote, most Roku TVs come with the standard IR remote and do not utilize an enhanced wireless remote. For specific information about the remote that your Roku TV came with, you will need to contact your Roku TV manufacturer directly. For a list of Roku TV manufacturer contact information, visit our Community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

Lastly, in regards to your wireless connectivity, we would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: Tips for improving the wireless connection to your Roku® streaming device

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Kevin6205

This is horrible advice. I was reading this thread in hopes to find out a solution to the same issue that I'm having. The link you pointed me to does not address the issue. It talks about signal strength, connectivity to the wireless router....and so forth but nothing g about this specific issue. No one should have to reconnect their TV to the internet every time it is turned on. Address that issue. 

Hi-there

I have same problem. It’s annoying when you have to setup the connection every time you turn the TV on

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Hi-there 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

With more information we will be able to look further into the issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

I have the same exact problem it wont stay connected and no matter what I do it keeps disconnecting.

Harvini
Roku Guru

While I have had this problem sporadically on my Sharp TV, it seems to have gone away for a while.  The question I would ask the original poster is whether the multiple ROKU TVs are being recognized by the router as one individual instead of separate devices.  If the router, during a DHCP process hands out the same IP to 2 TVs, then you could easily get corruption and loss of all devices that are attempting to use the router with the same IP  (i.e. the ROKU TVs).

This is strictly a theoretical thought, but you might wish to explore this by setting just 2 of the ROKU TVs up on the net and seeing wheter they both are claiming the same IP.

0 Kudos
Harvini
Roku Guru

One thought, and this is coming way out of left field, but, have you gone into THEME and made sure you have disabled SCREENSAVER?

I know this shouldn't be the cause of this issue, but then again, this is ROKU software we are talking about.

0 Kudos

Wow Danny, you are kind of rude.

There are way too many threads with this issue to be so dismissing.  Constantly telling customers to reboot everything is ridiculous.  All Smart TVs in my home work fine, they are Androids.  Not Roku.  I have used Roku streaming devices on other TVS for years.  But, alas they were outdated and I purchased new updated versions for family members who needed them.  4 of them.  All were purchased in 12/2020.  Everything was fine and all of a sudden, this week - none can hold a connection for more than an hour  and then it is difficult to get it to reconnect.  Then it disconnects again over and over again.  Rebooting does not solve the problem

So, since there are soo many complaints about this, stop telling people to reboot.  The troubleshooting links tell you the same thing.

And stop being rude.  The people you are being rude to are customers.  Not just past customers, from which Roku has made money off of, but potential future customers that will help to keep you employed.

Be nice.

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@rose12251970 wrote: All were purchased in 12/2020.  Everything was fine and all of a sudden, this week (Feb 21-27). 

It almost makes a person wonder if there's some "smart-tv" working against you (breaking your tv when it's not returnable anymore). I've seen more than one person speculate that this is happening at the 1-year mark.This is one of the reasons I disconnected my two Roku TVs from the internet, and stream through a $22 Firestick Lite connected to HDMI. I've seen enough of Roku's lack of care for customers to know that it's entirely possible they're engaging in "planned obsolescence." That's enough for me to protect my tvs. (Remember: Apple was found guilty and had to pay a hefty sum for doing this same thing. It's not paranoid to wonder if Roku's doing it.). The way Roku doesn't let us opt out of reckless software updates, nor roll back to a prior update that worked for us, this starts to look like "bait and switch." There's people who can't use their tvs at all anymore after an update. All Roku has to say is "I've passed it along." People bought Roku for Airplay. They can't use it (for months!).

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.