Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Roku TV apps have audio delay with new TCL 8 series TV

Hello, 

I am an owner of the new 8 series TCL 75 mini Qled TV. The image is amazing; the audio is terrible. I have a brand new Sony receiver that I am using via eARC. The TV will turn the receiver on, and control the volume. It's ALMOST an amazing setup, except that audio is delayed. Sometimes it is fine, sometimes it is delayed only to a small degree and I can handle it, and sometimes it makes programming look like a 1970's kung fu movie. I am an audio post engineer with 20+ years experience mixing films and documentaries, so ANY lip sync is unacceptable to me. I have contacted TCL, and I have restored the unit to factory settings. This did help the sync the first time I tried it, but now I have mild but unacceptable lagging of the audio across all apps. I have tried all of the different combos of audio formats. Please note: moving to PCM, stereo is not OK. I didn't buy a 3K TV, and interact it with my 3K surround system to watch films in stereo. 

Any suggestions? Is Roku working to fix this? 

19 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Roku TV apps have audio delay with new TCL 8 series TV

@actualsizeaudio Thanks for reaching out here. A few questions to help better understand the issue you're experiencing.

- What streaming channel are you watching when you experience this issue? What is an example content title? 

- When you experience the audio sync issue, press the * key on your TV's remote. A menu will appear on the left, with a variety of settings options. Look for sound settings, and 'Volume mode'. Is anything enabled here? If so, does turning this 'off' resolve the issue? 

- What is your current selection in Settings>Audio>S/PDIF and ARC? 

- What is the specific model of Sony A/V receiver that you are using? 

With more information, I can help take a closer look to see what other suggestions we can make, and pass along your report for further investigation.

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks for replying Tanner, 

-The audio delay happens across all apps. The one's I checked today were an episode of the office on Netflix, and also a doc on ESPN+. Both had about a four frame delay (audio late). 

-There is no "volume mode" when I press the star button, however there is an "audio mode" which is greyed out and set to normal. 

-S/PDIF and ARC are set to auto detect. When set to pass through audio goes away completely after 10 seconds. 

-I am using a Sony STR-DN1080. CEC works great with it. I'm very pleased minus the audio sync issue which I am quite sure is not an issue with the Sony. I had an integer preamp exhibit the same behavior. 

Today a tech at TCL had me reset the TV again (unplug and hold down power button for 15 seconds). The issue seems mostly resolved for now. This has happened before (resetting the TV) with the issue only to return. I should note, I notice about a frame delay now, which I understand most people would not notice (I am an audio post engineer). 

Thanks for your help. I will keep this thread posted. 

Highlighted

Things not getting better after a TV update, in fact things are getting consistent, but consistently bad. This appears to be a Roku TV issue. Over the air antennae TV is perfectly in sync. Amazon prime video is only about 1 frame late, so that's almost fine. Netflix is the worst. It's 4 frames late. ESPN plus also looks to be about 4 frames late. Unwatchable. 

I'm leaning towards returning the TV and forgetting about a Roku TV altogether. My Samsung smart TV does not have this issue. From what I can research it looks like this problem crept in last year after a software update, and has yet to be resolved. Without Roku acknowledging the issue, I can't see that it will ever get resolved. 

Roku?

Bummer. 

Highlighted
Level 19

@actualsizeaudio Thanks for continuing to keep us updated here. I'll continue working with you to investigate this, and help provide additional details to our team to take a closer look. 

Just to confirm for testing purposes, if you change audio output to PCM / Stereo, does the same delay occur? 

Please feel to send me a private message with any additional information and/or observations that you've made and I'll help pass those along as well. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Watching this closely because I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on the same set.  However, we have a 65" 6 series (2018) that has the exact same problem.  If you search, you'll see it's a very common issue.  I was really hoping the 8 series wouldn't suffer from this.  How in the heck could they let this happen on their flagship TV??

@actualsizeaudio  - I'm with you, PCM/Stereo is not a fix, but I am interested to see if that gets rid of the delay for you.  It does on my 6, which leads me to believe it can be fixed via firmware/software updates.  Disheartening though that it's such a problem in the first place.   We have 3 TCL's which are great sets for the money, but the audio lag is ruining my respect for them.

A possible workaround is to use a stand-alone Roku, FireStick, etc.., plugged into HDMI input and stream from that.  Not something I want to have to do with a $3000+ TV though!

Highlighted

This $3K TV is NOT ready for primetime. Period. 

The audio implementation is a ridiculous mess. When set to "auto detect" it doesn't even send out the proper audio format. Meaning when there is programming I know is stereo, it sends out some weird upmixed 3.1 format where stuff ends up in the center channel that doesn't belong there. "Pass through" does not work either. You literally need to go into the settings, which are not accessible from the star menu, and pick what format you want the TV to spit out over ARC or optical in order to properly watch any program. For a $3K TV that is so beyond lame I can't believe it. 

I'm shocked at how poorly TCL and Roku implemented the smart TV functions of this TV. Forget about the fact that there is constant audio sync issues....In 2019 I want to have one remote, and one remote only if I am going to spend this much on all new stuff. It can easily be this way, and should be this way, but it is not. The thought of buying a separate streamer, and then having more than one remote, or trying to program some universal remote is making me angry, when all they would have to do is properly program this thing, which we know they can do, because other manufactures have done it. 

Embarrassing really. 

Highlighted
Level 19

@actualsizeaudio Thanks for sharing the thoughts here. I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're seeing to help report this to the team. Could you provide more details about the specific make/model of A/V receiver you are using, as well as the source and content example that you are playing? (e.g. Streaming channel such as 'The Roku Channel' and content title) 

I'll get this over to the team from there to take a closer look. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

This is an issue with the whole Roku tv lineup. Tanner and I had the same interaction a couple of months ago for the R625.  Never heard anything back.  They know it's a problem but for some reason can't fix it and / or give any update on the status of the fix.

Highlighted
Level 19

@JesseC Thanks for the note here. Apologies for the delay. When any status updates become available, I'll be sure to share. In the meantime, I'd recommend continuing to follow up with your Roku TV manufacturer to request any additional information they may be able to provide. 

I'll continue working with users to pass along any issues that we hear reported for further investigation. Feel free to send me a private message if you have any other questions. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos