Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ellory
Level 7

Re: Roku TV apps have audio delay with new TCL 8 series TV

I am also having the same issues with the tcl 8I.  Watching hbomax  as an example.  Have rebooted the tv with the power button pressed for some, but not complete relief 

I've been looking for a firmware update to introduce picture delay to sync up sound

Any hope?  Or advice?

0 Kudos
user700
Level 9

I have had some luck on the newest Roku TV firmware 9.4 update on my 55R617. Setting audio to passthrough and using game mode on my external HDMI inputs. I don't use the internal apps.

This syncs the audio reasonably well with my Sonos Beam. Every now and then the audio goes really badly out of sync, but so far a reboot of the TV has resolved that.

I'm going to disconnect the TV from WiFi so that another update doesn't mess things up again!

0 Kudos
Jbseba2
Level 7

I have a new (2019) TCL 8 series connected to a sonos arc via ARC, which is now supposedly eARC. I have been having terrible audio sync issues. The audio is behind, as others have said, which means I have no way to adjust. This seems to be an issue on any of the inputs, and the built in apps. This is extremely frustrating and ridiculous considering how much this tv costs. Are there any known fixes?

Dutch164
Level 7

I am having the same issues. Audio sync issues seems to be a real problem. We have tried different HDMI cables and changed the connections. First we had all the sources going to the receiver (Sony  STR-DN1080). Then we had the sources going to the TV and then a HDMI eARC back to the receiver. I feel the second set up was worse. 

We had a Sony TV before that and had no Audio Synch issues with 4K content and the exact same set up. The only thing that changed was the TV. 

Additionally, whenever we get a Dolby Vision notification, we get static and popping occasionally in the speakers. We read about this back in May. It is not January and none of the issues seem to be resolved. 

How is this stuff not being addressed? 

Visitor45763
Level 14

@Dutch164 wrote: How is this stuff not being addressed? 

Looking a few pages back through the forum, nothing seems to get fixed. There's never an acknowledgement that a problem is recognized, or its priority. People are just left to die on the vine.

When I first had a problem a month ago, and came here, my initial (and never-cease) reaction is that I would have never believed a company could operate this way if I hadn't seen it myself. If someone told me these stories of ZERO care for the customer (not testing updates; bizarre feature "vision;" and COMPLETELY delusional statements by the CEO), I would think the person telling me the story has an ax to grind, embellishing, etc. Seeing it myself is amazing.

Leave product reviews on retail sites.

I think the most surprising thing is why Roku has this forum when it doesn't listen to customers. If they don't care, why even invite them to talk about their lousy experiences?

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
GuitarMan
Level 10

I posted on the other thread.  I'm having the same problem using a 55" TCL Series 4 Roku TV with a TCL Alto 9+ soundbar. 

When the TV is set to auto-passthrough, cable TV improves a little but the TV's built-in apps are very delayed.  As much as 150ms in some cases.  Watching music videos on the built-in Youtube app is hilarious.  The drummer hits the snare or a cymbal crash, then by the time he's hitting something else, you finally hear the snare or cymbal.  Vocals are almost painful. 

But, there's some hope...I have a Firestick hooked up through one of the regular HDMI ports and the Firestick has an audio sync setting that allows you to sync in both directions.  It lets me fix the audio lag as close as my eyes/ears can detect.  The Firestick's sync feature is a bouncing ball that makes a sound when it bounces and you can adjust the sync on the fly as you watch the bouncing ball, so it's easy to adjust it. 

But the TV's built-in apps are still very problematic and it kind of defeats the purpose of having a Roku TV if I have to watch everything on my Firestick.  I only use the Firestick for certain things and I like using the TV's apps for other things. 

If a $20 Firestick can have a built-in audio sync that works in both directions, I don't understand why a much more expensive Roku TV can't have it.   My series 4 was relatively cheap but for the more expensive models a lot of people on this forum have, it's inexcusable, imo. 

::Edit::  After talking to TCL support, a firmware update on my TCL Alto 9+ soundbar seems to have solved the audio sync problem.   TCL support was actually very good. 

Jbseba2
Level 7

Has anyone had luck finding a solution to this? I have reached out to both Roku and TCL for support and no luck. 

Visitor45763
Level 14

Some people have said turning off any exotic sound processing fixes it. (I.e., when watching content, press the * button on the remote. The left-side pane should have a couple audio/volume categories. They should be set to "off" and "normal." The idea is to reduce overhead.

I think I've seen at least one person say the undocumented so-called clear-cache fixed their audio delay problem:

Hit HOME 5 times.
UP once.
REWIND twice.
FAST FORWARD twice. (Clears cache & tv reboots itself. Be patient. It takes 2-3 minutes for the tv to go black, and come back on)

It wouldn't hurt to try that. 

Roku has not acknowledged any problem. So, you could be waiting a very long time (if you go back some months, you'll see there are problems that have gone unaddressed for YEARS). Some people are streaming through HDMI instead. I.e., disconnect the tv from the internet, use it as a dumb tv. For example, the $22 Firestick Lite has a setting to adjust audio/video synch. If you're not under warranty any longer, that could be an inexpensive way to get more life out of your tv.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
maxmarch
Level 7

Interesting... as I read your complaint from 2019.  Well here is 2021, March, I am experiencing the same issues...  TCL not taking ownership and handing it off to ROKU.  I have ZERO confidence that the issue will be remedied.

I cannot count the number of times of reset this, reset that, send a picture of your screen after pressing home and then the home button 5 times followed by the pressing the back button 5 times... Tech has been out and replaced the main board...  I also changed my sound bar.

I am not even sure why I am posting this... I have little confidence it will do any good.

smtips
Level 9

You just need to review these threads (second one has 20 pages of complaints). This is not an isolated issue, and neither Roku nor TCL wants to actually do anything concrete to fix it. They are well aware.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/Lip-sync-audio-and-visual-lagging/m-...

https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Roku-TV-Audio-out-of-sync-and-visual-lagging/m-p/682557#M1...

0 Kudos