Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
actualsizeaudio
Level 8

Re: Roku TV apps have audio delay with new TCL 8 series TV

Here is the latest: 

I have figured out how to get proper audio going to the receiver (not weird up-mixed audio). If the TV is set to "pass through" for the ARC audio, then when a program is in stereo, stereo audio goes to the receiver, when it 5.1 audio, then the receiver gets 5.1. This is what I want. However, with Netflix, the audio will go away after 90 seconds or so when the TV is set to "pass through". In "auto detect" audio does not drop out, but the audio is some weird up-mixed format that is not true to the source. Also, dialog looks to be about 2-4 frames late. With Amazing prime, the audio is sent properly to the the receiver, but audio is about 1-2 frames late. That's pretty close, but for me, being one of the engineers who actually mixes the programs that get streamed, it's unacceptable. ESPN+ looks to be about 3 frames late. 

Over the air TV gets sent to the receiver properly, and is perfectly in sync...........so.......

This is a smart TV app problem. 

JesseC
Level 8

I did send a private message in October asking if there was any updates, but didn't hear back.  I know you are just the messenger. It's just a shame Roku is not able to deliver surround sound that is in sync in 2019.  One quick look at your message boards and it's obviously a big issue that has been going on for a long time.  Also the fact that you know to ask if it still happens when set to PCM / stereo shows that Roku knows about the issue.

actualsizeaudio
Level 8

My receiver is a new Sony STR-DN1080

I have been testing out sync on Netflix (often just episodes of The Office). I have also been watching Alien which was purchased on my Amazon Prime account. 

Threegeese
Level 9

I also have to use the Passthrough setting on the TV (55R625) to get sync to work within a few frames across sources and formats to my soundbar. The audio will suddenly disappear if I pause a HDMI source for more than a few seconds and a TV power cycle is required to get sound back.
RokuTannerD
Level 19

@JesseC Thanks for following up. When any further updates are available, I will continue to keep you posted. I don't have any news to share at the moment, but please stay tuned. In the meantime, I'd recommend continuing to follow up with your Roku TV manufacturer for additional direct support and status updates. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

@Threegeese  Thanks for the note here. A few more questions to help clarify the behavior you are seeing. 

- What brand/model of A/V receiver are you using with your TV?

- What HDMI input source are you watching audio from when you observe this issue occurring, and what audio format is being played (DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital+, Stereo, etc.) 

- Does the same issue occur when you play content with a different audio format?

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Threegeese
Level 9

I’m having lip sync issues over ARC with:

TCL 55R625 TV ver 9.2.2

Vizio SB36514-G6 5.1.4

I have an xfinity X1 cable box and a Apple TV4K 

The only TCL TV audio settings that provide the fewest sync problems are PCM or Passthrough. PCM means no surround sound, Passthrough often cuts out requiring a tv restart when audio changes from Atmos to regular 5.1 audio.

It would be great if Roku could add audio delay settings to the software feature set.

MMP548
Level 7

Tanner, we have the series 6 and am having the same problem on the 49inch TCL.

Please let me know what we can do.

0 Kudos
user700
Level 9

I have the 55r617CA connected with HDMI ARC to a Sonos Beam.

HDMI source is an apple TV on one HDMI input and a PC connected to the other input.

Dolby Digital 2.0 and 5.1 are being delayed. 

PCM Stereo seems to be ok, but all of the content I watch is in Dolby Digital. Mainly from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus and iTunes.

0 Kudos
tuck1
Level 7

I just purchased the 8-Series 65Q825 TV from Best Buy.  I've connected my cable box to my Sony STR-DN840 AV receiver and my AV receiver to the the TV using the ARC HDMI port.  I'm current with the software updates on both devices.  I'm experiencing delayed audio lip synch issues as well.  Very disappointed. 

0 Kudos