Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffrok
Level 11

Roku TV annoyance

I've owned a Roku TV (TCL 40 inch 1080p) for around a year now, and I have to say, I like it, mostly..

What kinda frustrates me is certain channels are processor intensive (the latest Amazon music channel is one example), and when they are working hard, the basic TV functions like volume buttons won't register.. To me, things like volume, mute, and navigation/home should ALWAYS work quickly, as those are important TV functions.. These sort of key press delays make the software sometimes feel poorly written.. I really hope Roku can improve the speed of things in the TV software. For a year-old model, there shouldn't be lag.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
6 Replies
beq
Level 8

Re: Roku TV annoyance

I've noticed this too even on TCL 4K Roku TV's (which supposedly use faster hardware than the 1080p TV models).  But usually only upon loading of the channel.

Shouldn't real time reaction to user input be maintained as a priority thread?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

My Insignia Roku TV, which is only 720, does have some button lag. But my Sharp 4K set is quite snappy. No idea how the hardware in the various TVs differ, as the Wiki page doesn't have the TV hardware listed like it does with the Roku players. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

A simple (or maybe not) solution would be to have separate processors for certain buttons.. TV volume/power/mute functions should be priority, so process them separate from Roku "box" functions.. when I hit volume or power buttons, they should react ASAP, not when my Amazon Prime app gives up the right of way.. It makes owning a Roku TV feel inferior to owning a Roku box that's attached to a TV.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

"jeffrok" wrote:
A simple (or maybe not) solution would be to have separate processors for certain buttons.. TV volume/power/mute functions should be priority, so process them separate from Roku "box" functions.. when I hit volume or power buttons, they should react ASAP, not when my Amazon Prime app gives up the right of way.. It makes owning a Roku TV feel inferior to owning a Roku box that's attached to a TV.

I own a 55" TCL 4K Roku set and a 32" TCL Roku 720P set. Pretty much both ends of what I would consider the hardware and performance spectrum. I don't notice the lag for the power/volume/mute functions that you are seeing on the Prime Video app or any other streaming app. The one thing that is consistent for both of my sets is they use the basic IR remote and not the enhanced WiFi remote that comes with certain models. The 720p set has good line of sight to the IR receiver under the TCL Logo in the middle of the set. My 4K set has a soundbar blocking the IR sensor, so I added an inexpensive IR Extender to get good coverage from the remote across the room. Anytime I have seen any lag in remote response it has been due to low battery. Are you using the enhanced WIFi remote? Just wondering if that may induce a potential lag in processing depending on what else is going on, or especially as the battery gets low. I remember a previous Roku 3 I had with enhanced WiFi remote that was a battery drainer.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Nope, just using the standard RF remote that came with the TV. I don't have a list of all the channels that cause button lag to occur, but definitely Amazon Prime Music, and probably Hulu. And not at all times- just when the app is "thinking really hard" Smiley Wink.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

I did a quick test on one TCL 4K TV with a Wi-Fi remote (using Prime Video, Hulu, Netflix, HBO Go, Starz, Showtime Anytime, DirecTV Now, YouTube TV, Sling, YouTube, etc).

Basically launch each channel and repeatedly press Vol Up/Down while the channel splash screen is loading.

Seems when some of the channels haven't been launched in awhile, the volume keys won't register for a few seconds during the opening splash screen.  But if I re-launch those channels right away, the remote buttons tend to stay responsive at the opening (though Prime Video still has a split second lag).  Perhaps it has to do with stale cache data?

Note that this is separate from the "Loading..." progress window that Roku pops up when a channel has to be re-downloaded.  I saw the splash screen button lag on channels that haven't been launched recently, but didn't show the "Loading..." pop-up.

Note also that even when the volume keys didn't register onscreen during the opening splash, I saw the TV's standby LED blinking to indicate it did receive the remote's button presses (via Wi-Fi).

Sorry though, I guess this is not quite the same as a general button lag during the operation of a channel...
0 Kudos