Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Scottt1174
Level 7

Roku TV and Netflix Question

I have the TCL R617 Roku Tv. I have a internet connection of 30/5 which is crap. Long story with Verizon. Anyway when watching Netflix I was looking at the stats for nerds in the internal app. How come when you play a 4k DV movie when you start it takes time for the picture to work it's way up to 15.25 mbps/2160? It take like a good minute and a half to work up to 15.25/2160. Just curious. It would start at 4mbps/720p etc..

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Roku TV and Netflix Question

Back when I still used Netflix, I would see the same thing. In fact, it was so bad I contacted my ISP, who claimed they weren't doing anything. I finally filed an FCC complaint against my ISP, and they finally took it seriously. What they discovered (or at least what they claimed) was that something out in the Internet (outside their firewall) was throttling my Netflix stream. Didn't happen with any other streaming source. I guess all I'm saying is that sometimes there are things within the Internet routing that might cause issues. After about 6 months, mine seemed to have cleared, although I could watch that data window and see that it always took some time to ramp up all the way to 2160. I've seen it take 5 minutes to reach 2160, although 1 minute was pretty much the norm. Sometimes I saw it start as low as 128, then 240, finally getting to 540, 720, 1080, and eventually 2160. Remember that Netflix is responsible for a significant amount of the overall Internet bandwidth, so sometimes it's just a little slow. 
Also, your 30 Mbps down is more than enough for Netflix. They max out 2160 at 16 Mbps, and can actually reach that resolution as low as 9.5 Mbps. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Scottt1174
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
Back when I still used Netflix, I would see the same thing. In fact, it was so bad I contacted my ISP, who claimed they weren't doing anything. I finally filed an FCC complaint against my ISP, and they finally took it seriously. What they discovered (or at least what they claimed) was that something out in the Internet (outside their firewall) was throttling my Netflix stream. Didn't happen with any other streaming source. I guess all I'm saying is that sometimes there are things within the Internet routing that might cause issues. After about 6 months, mine seemed to have cleared, although I could watch that data window and see that it always took some time to ramp up all the way to 2160. I've seen it take 5 minutes to reach 2160, although 1 minute was pretty much the norm. Sometimes I saw it start as low as 128, then 240, finally getting to 540, 720, 1080, and eventually 2160. Remember that Netflix is responsible for a significant amount of the overall Internet bandwidth, so sometimes it's just a little slow. 
Also, your 30 Mbps down is more than enough for Netflix. They max out 2160 at 16 Mbps, and can actually reach that resolution as low as 9.5 Mbps. 

Thanks.for the reply. Appreciate your input. Yeah I mean it's not really an issue was just curious why it took alittle to ramp up to 2160. Yeah I dont trust ISP's like Verizon they are all corrupt. The reason I can't go higher then 30/5 is because I live in a townhome and the owner hasnt updated the equipment so I only have DSL which sucks. Verizon said they cant do anything till owner replaces equipment. Anyway, with the 30/5 you saying is fine, yeah it's fine as long as I dont have other things connected...lol like cell phone...etc cause that eats bandwidth to... but I am good. Smiley Happy I do a speed test on the TV and I consistantly get around 25 to 26 download. So I think I should be ok. I have the TV connected to 5G and everything else connected to 2.4G.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

DSL isn't always bad.  I have 90 Mbps down and 10 up from CenturyLink, and it's been just fine for many years. Yeah, sharing bandwidth with other devices can make a big difference. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos