Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku TV Volume Not Working With Speakers

Jump to solution

Hello,

I currently have a Sharp 55 inch Roku TV and connected to it, by an RCA to 3.5mm cable, is a pair of Edifier R1280T Speakers. In the past, on other Roku TV's/devices, I have been able to control the volume of the output/speakers with the volume controls found on the Roku remote. That is not the case with my current setup. How or what do I set up such that it will work with the volume controls found on the Roku remote? Would an optical or USB connection between the TV and speakers work?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Roku TV Volume Not Working With Speakers

Jump to solution

@LaserBoss Thanks for the note. Roku remote TV power and volume controls primarily work by using IR signals to control your TV using IR. When you go through our setup wizard to 'Set up remote for TV control' in Settings>Remote, this process identifies the correct IR code for your TV, and assigns it. The audio device would need to have an IR receiver on it to accept IR remote control signals, and be compatible with the feature. 

The other method that *may* work to control volume on a connected audio/video receiver or soundbar works via HDMI CEC. This means that an external audio device would need to be connected to the TV's HDMI ARC port, support HDMI CEC, and be compatible with the feature. 

Unfortunately, connecting speakers to a TV using a 3.5mm audio jack isn't a supported setup for either of these features. There is no way for the TV to control the audio device in that scenario. 

Hope that helps clarify! 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@LaserBoss Thanks for the note. Roku remote TV power and volume controls primarily work by using IR signals to control your TV using IR. When you go through our setup wizard to 'Set up remote for TV control' in Settings>Remote, this process identifies the correct IR code for your TV, and assigns it. The audio device would need to have an IR receiver on it to accept IR remote control signals, and be compatible with the feature. 

The other method that *may* work to control volume on a connected audio/video receiver or soundbar works via HDMI CEC. This means that an external audio device would need to be connected to the TV's HDMI ARC port, support HDMI CEC, and be compatible with the feature. 

Unfortunately, connecting speakers to a TV using a 3.5mm audio jack isn't a supported setup for either of these features. There is no way for the TV to control the audio device in that scenario. 

Hope that helps clarify! 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

My new Phillips Roku TV remote doesn't not have a pairing button.

Apparently connecting speakers under any connection is not supported. Sure wish I'd have known that before buying my TV at a store 55 miles away. I never dreamed a Roku TV would no longer allow for this. I have 8 Roku TVs in my home, all connected to sound bars that work perfectly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I'm returning my roku tv because of this. How asinine can Roku be? It's a SIMPLE AUDIO OUT FUNCTION. There is no such thing as the TV needing to "control" the speaker. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Why would you build such setup? I have several Roku TV and now I'll never buy another! And I'll be returning this one to the store.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Why would I want that sort of setup? 

1. Infinitely superior sound. 

2. Infinitely superior sound.

3. Infinitely superior sound, 

Roku offers its own external speakers ... but sorry ... I have better speakers. Why on earth should they have a dumbed down headphones out? Refer to above sentence. To maximize $$$$$$$$. 

Level 11 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Roku Dev/Sales/Support,

I just bought the new Roku Ultra.  As others on reviews have noted, why on earth have you not added Stereo Receiver remote codes to your remotes yet!!  It is VERY disappointing that I cannot control the Volume on my stereo receiver with the Roku remote. I am planning to get rid-of Dish and use the Youtube TV app, but now I'll always have to have my receiver remote next to my Roku remote for the volume!!  MANY people like superior surround-sound with their TV setup.  If you are trying to push your own speakers, you are making a lot of people unhappy.

SO, When will Roku offer a remote with receiver codes in it as well?  Other companies for 20 years have offered it. Dish has had it in their remotes forever!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@TroyGA wrote:

Roku Dev/Sales/Support,

I just bought the new Roku Ultra.  As others on reviews have noted, why on earth have you not added Stereo Receiver remote codes to your remotes yet!!  It is VERY disappointing that I cannot control the Volume on my stereo receiver with the Roku remote. I am planning to get rid-of Dish and use the Youtube TV app, but now I'll always have to have my receiver remote next to my Roku remote for the volume!!  MANY people like superior surround-sound with their TV setup.  If you are trying to push your own speakers, you are making a lot of people unhappy.

SO, When will Roku offer a remote with receiver codes in it as well?  Other companies for 20 years have offered it. Dish has had it in their remotes forever!

I've been down this road with Roku many times. Specifically, with regards to disabling the IR functions of the RC remotes as soon as they pair with a Roku TV. This lack of interest in addressing this issue is pathetic and surely based in their desire to sell more Roku speakers that you link to the TV.

0 Kudos