Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VTHokie96
Roku Guru

Roku TV - Viewing Computer on HDMI Input - HDR Playback Dark

I too am experiencing the same HDR (dark screen) after the 9.2.0 build 4129-30 update on Nov 2, 2019 to my TCL 55R615 (Best Buy version of TCL 55R617) but with a different setup the others; points to issue not being platform specific.  Issues occurs only on HDMI input; all TV apps offering HDR/Dolby Vision appear to work fine.

System Setup:

1.  Home Theater PC (HTPC) running Windows 10 Pro (fully updated) w/ Nvidia GTX1070 HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 compliant graphics (latest drivers) connected to TCL TV via ONKYO TX-NR575 AVR (latest firmware updates); all using HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compliant cables

2. Nvidia Graphics Card set to 4K resolution, YCbCr422 w/ 12-bit Bit Depth @ 60Hz; Win10 HDR set to "ON" 

3.  TV HDMI Input set to HDMI 2.0

4. All TV functions (including HDR) on 9.1.0 Roku SW version worked fine; Issue appeared after 9.2.0 update

5. Bypassing ONKYO AVR for direct HTPC to TV connection does not change Dark Screen HDR issue.

I have checked settings, set, reset & switched, power on/off, disconnected/connected power,.... with no improvement on Dark HDR issues that appears to be experience by most all on this post.

Would like new Roku SW update as soon as possible to correct this issue.

49 REPLIES 49
HisSvt2
Roku Guru

Re: Roku TV - Viewing Computer on HDMI Input - HDR Playback Dark

Your issue with your R series is similar but isn’t the same. We have those issues you described on our P series with 9.0,9.1 etc.

However Rokutanner pushed that new 9.2 to my P series and now my HDR works perfect so we are same but different. Since you have an R series you really should create a separate thread as they are not the same models.

0 Kudos
VTHokie96
Roku Guru

@HisSvt2 wrote:
Your issue with your R series is similar but isn’t the same. We have those issues you described on our P series with 9.0,9.1 etc.

However Rokutanner pushed that new 9.2 to my P series and now my HDR works perfect so we are same but different. Since you have an R series you really should create a separate thread as they are not the same models.

I guess I saw this in the broader light of recent Roku SW updates creating problems with HDR "darkening" regardless of TCL model being effected.  Another earlier poster in this discussion did indicate that his 55R617 was effected too.  If 9.2 fixed your issue on your "P" series, RokuTanner should be on top of this with his team to expedite a fix of the recently deployed 9.2 for TCL "R" series.  I've PM'd RT directly and await his direction.

RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

@VTHokie96  Have you tried changing the display output settings on your graphics card to see if you can resolve the issue by selecting a different output format? This sounds like it may relate to an issue with your graphics card's current configuration. 

Alternately, have you also tried playing HDR content from any other HDMI input source, such as an XBOX, etc. to see if the same issue occurs? 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
ssft
Reel Rookie

Having the same issue above with my 65R617.  Ever since the 9.2 upgrade HDR mode in Windows 10 results in an extremely dark screen.  Nvidia RTX 2080 connected to HDMI 1, HDMI 2.0 mode set.  Have tried sending RGB, 422 and 444 with no difference in result.

RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

@ssft  Thanks for the details here. Could you please reply with a couple pictures of this 'dark' screen behavior for HDR content? If you could, please also include a picture of playback of 1080P content that is correctly 'bright' for comparison. 

Thanks!! 

Tanner

0 Kudos
ssft
Reel Rookie

The ones of the Windows desktop really show the difference here.  This was taken in a dark room so you can still kind of see what's on the screen.  Any lights make it just about unreadable.  Playing an HDR game like Borderlands 3, the colors are dull and it's like it's restricted from achieving any brightness past what you see on the desktop.

The same PC hooked up to an LG OLED C6 shows no difference in relative brightness with HDR on vs off and HDR gaming is sublime.

Apple TV on the other hand, there is no brightness issues between SDR and HDR10/Dolby Vision.

HDR OnHDR OnHDR offHDR off

0 Kudos
VTHokie96
Roku Guru

Hey RokuTanner,

This issue is with the 9.2 Roku SW load.  I noticed others have started to join with same issue.  The images posted by ssft are exactly what I'm experiencing.  I actually have dual monitor setup with TCL 55R615 + TCL 43S525  Roku TV's.  43S525 works perfectly on 9.2 with HDR setup as previously mentioned; as such, it's not my system setup.  As mentioned previously, my 55R615 w/HDR worked fine on 9.1; not with 9.2. I don't have other HDR content players available to test.

I'm a system builder (computer, network,..) & I've tried all possible configurations (YCbCr, refresh rate,...) to rectify this darkening issue with no success.  Somehow, the darkening issue that others experienced on different TCL "P" Series TV's with 9.0/9.1 (which was corrected by load 9.2) propagated into the 9.2 load for the "R" series (55R617, 55R615,..).

Image indicates darkening but it's much more pronounced; camera apparently auto-corrects for brightness.

HDR.jpg

VTHokie96
Roku Guru

Any chance you could rename this discussion to reflect TCL "R" Series TV's (55R615, 55R617,...) since the "P" series was one a different thread?

Thx for the help on this as well. 

0 Kudos
botan1982
Channel Surfer

In my case, on the 55p605 TV, problems with HDR arose precisely after the 9.2.6 update on October 20, a computer and ps 4 were connected to the TV, problems were observed both here and there, but in the TV application YouTube HDR works correctly. It is simple to check the incorrect operation of the firmware - you need to return the previous firmware, but no one wants to help me with this.

0 Kudos