Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kdavis
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku TV Screen Won't Turn On

Jump to solution

No, I left it unplugged for a couple of days and was able to get it to turn back on and work for a few hours. Since then it won't power on and unplugging it for any amount of time doesn't work.

AKBadBoy
Streaming Star

Re: Roku TV Screen Won't Turn On

Jump to solution

Hey Ryan,
No, I never did figure out what was wrong. I read everything I could find on a possible problem, but nobody seemed to have the same one. I was watching the TV when out of the blue the screen went black and no sound. The only indication I have is that the "status light" comes on, brightens up just a bit, dims down, goes off and then back on and repeats. This cycle takes 15-20 seconds or so. Someone told me that it sounded like the Main Board so, armed with a magnifying glass, I found the part number I bought one online and installed it but no luck. And the kicker is there are three different boards in succession in the back (as you well know, having replaced the PSU in your own TV), but the PSU and Main Board in MY 58" Sharp/Roku TV would very likely be different than those in YOUR same model 58" Sharp/Roku TV. Is this done on purpose to keep the basic handyman from fixing their own television? That could be. Will this all keep me from buying another Sharp/Roku or any of the other name brand TV made by the Chinese company Hisense? Most assuredly it will.

Carmen2
Binge Watcher

Re: Sharp 58 inch Roku TV Screen Won't Turn On

Jump to solution

What a bs solution! This just happened to me too and I've been tolf it's a common problem with these pos t.v.s Nobody wants to spend time on hold waiting for a customer service agent to talk me how to fix my tv. Or worse yet have to contact them via the web and wait for an answer. I'M NEVER RECOMMENDING ROKU TO ANYONE AGAIN!

AKBadBoy
Streaming Star

Re: Sharp 58 inch Roku TV Screen Won't Turn On

Jump to solution

Hello Carmen2,
That is about the best and truest answer as you will get from Sharp/Roku if your 1 Year Warranty has expired. I found countless complaints against Sharp for the exact same problem, i.e. the televisions going completely dead within 12-18 months of purchase. And those who got any kind of relief only did so after they were taken thru a long, drawn out process of submitting proof from certified repair techs who explain that they have been inundated with dozens of calls for the exact same problem. This is sad because Sharp once put out products that they were proud of, and obviously, this is no longer the case.

getta5

This is NOT a manufacturer problem but a ROKU problem!

Jump to solution

This does not happen unless Roku is installed within the TV.  I have the exact same manufactured TV but the only difference in my other TV...Roku is not on it and it works just fine.  Haven't had my TV a year and it's a total loss. I did some research with others who have had this problem and it's the Roku TV's that have the issue.  So don't let them tell you it's the manufacturer.

ArmanAbt
Reel Rookie

Re: my sharp tv is dead after 13 months of barely use.

Jump to solution

I turned off my 13 month sharp roku tv with Roku app on iphone and I never could turn it on! It’s completely dead. Any help?!

Pb41059

Jump to solution

Same problems here 16 months and tv won’t turn on just a flashing light it’s definitely a Roku problem not a sharp issue or maybe it’s both I have a Visio plasma tv thats 12 years old and it still works

ArmanAbt
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Does Roku fix the tv? How can I fix it then? 

AKBadBoy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

There seems to be some confusion as to who responsible for what when it comes to the "Smart Televisions". Roku puts their software in the back of almost every television made these days. It allows you to watch some free content from the Internet (like YouTube) on your TV, as well as subscription content such as HBO, Netflix, and Hulu, and Sharp (in my case), and other major brand televisions put in the rest. The "rest" in this case is the "power-boards" and "main-boards", which turns the televisions on and off and control things like the "light-strips" that are needed to provide the picture. I have spent months and months researching this mess as I tried to fix my Sharp 58" Television, and this is where things get even more confusing. Apparently Roku doesn't care about the fact that they are tied in to all of this because all they will tell you is to unplug the TV for 30 seconds and all will be right with the world, when in fact in the vast majority of those posting here know that it wont work. And if it doesn't work, Roku's response is "Call the television's maker". Again, in my case it is Sharp, and if the TV is past its 1 Year Warranty, all Sharp has to offer is "Good luck, we cannot help you". If one thinks (like I did) "Well heck, I'll just order the boards and replace them myself!" That's a great plan because anyone with a screwdriver can pull the back off and replace the bad board... BUT THINGS GET WORSE ON THIS FRONT. There are several "power-boards" and "main-boards" that will fit in the back of the televisions (as I found out), but only certain ones will work with the rest. For instance, if you put in the wrong "power-board" that don't get along with the "main-board", in your television or vise versa, nothing will work (I found this out as well). The boards in the back of my TV are marked with the Sharp name, but that does nothing to negate the "board" compatibility problem (i.e. different size screen seem to have different boards within any given brand name. I, too, own a Vizio that is still running strong after years of working without a single problem. It irks me that this is happening again and again, and nobody from the television makers or Roku (who also make some of their own televisions by the way) will come forward with information on how to fix their televisions that people paid good money for, only to have them go bad in 13 months, which is almost to the day when my Sharp/Roku went dead while I was watching it. Like everyone else, this didn't make me a happy camper, and I will do my best to never purchase another Sharp/Roku television, or any television that is made at the Hisense plant in China where it (and many others) was made. 

ArmanAbt
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you. Do you know if I can repair it at IT electronics? or any repair shop? 

0 Kudos