Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Roku TV Power Off

Is there a hidden menu or something that lets you change the behavior of a Roku TV, so when you press "Power", it turns off, instead of going to sleep? 
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: Roku TV Power Off

Almost all electronic devices operate this way today (microwaves, stoves, TVs, etc).  Nothing is ever truly "off" unless you unplug it or hook it up to a power strip and turn the power strip off (and even a power strip, if it has an LED, is still technically "on.")

So the short answer is no.  I don't know the power consumption when in standby mode off-hand, but the set-top boxes consume VERY little power (less than the typical microwave).  I don't think the TVs are much more than that, but I'll look into it.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Remember too that if the device is truly and completely powered down, you won't be able to turn it on with a remote. You would have to press a mechanical button on the device itself. And nowadays many devices don't have physical buttons anymore.  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 10

"smilingmaybe" wrote:
Is there a hidden menu or something that lets you change the behavior of a Roku TV, so when you press "Power", it turns off, instead of going to sleep? 

Not sure if you can ever have it completely OFF, but the selections in the Roku Menu below do allow you to have it not always sitting in a Fast Start state.

SETTINGS -- SYSTEM -- POWER -- AUTO POWER SAVINGS -- Reduce Power After 15 Minutes

SETTINGS -- SYSTEM -- POWER -- FAST START TV -- Fast Start TV DISABLED
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
Almost all electronic devices operate this way today (microwaves, stoves, TVs, etc).  Nothing is ever truly "off" unless you unplug it or hook it up to a power strip and turn the power strip off (and even a power strip, if it has an LED, is still technically "on.")

So the short answer is no.  I don't know the power consumption when in standby mode off-hand, but the set-top boxes consume VERY little power (less than the typical microwave).  I don't think the TVs are much more than that, but I'll look into it.

Oh, it has nothing to do with concern over the power drain. It's because it doesn't turn the USB port off until 4 hours pass, and if you're using the USB port for bias lighting, you have to manually turn the lighting off and on instead of it turning off and on with the power of the TV. 

Maybe there's a hidden menu setting to make the USB port turn on/off in sync with the power button on the remote? Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
_gamaral_
Level 7

I've been hoping a feature for this gets added, the TV should have an option to go into "Reduce Power" mode immediately.
Not having it messes up smart powerstrips too as well as bias lighting.
0 Kudos