Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erin25
Level 7

Roku TV Not Connected to WiFi and Remote Not Working

I have a Roku TV (so no separate roku device), so the physical remote that came with no longer works now. There is no pairing button anywhere on the remote, and I have changed the batteries. I started using the Roku app for a while as my remote, which was fine, but now my TV has somehow disconnected from my WiFi and I have no way of reconnecting my TV without my remote, and of course the app doesn't work without WiFI. Has anyone else ever had this issue?? Please help!!!

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9\
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku TV Not Connected to WiFi and Remote Not Working

You're going to need a real remote. If you go universal remote remember Roku tv don't use the Roku code, they use two very old tv code sets with newer commands. You can go to walmart and get the voice remote for $19.88, it will work with your tv once paired. Some remote is sold at best buy for $29.99. At walmart there is the One-For-All urc-7935 streamer remote works great with Roku tv's, price about $25. That same remote can be found on ebay for $10. Here is picture next to tv voice remote:

P1010420 (800x600).jpg

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
atc98092

Every Roku TV I'm aware of has an IR remote (maybe there are others, but I don't know). If your remote doesn't have a pairing button, then it's IR. Make sure there's nothing blocking the lower edge of the TV, as the IR receiver window is somewhere along there. Most likely in the left bottom corner, but could be anywhere. 

To test your remote, use a smartphone camera to watch the from of the remote when you press a button. If you see a flashing light, the remote is working. If it still won't control the TV, then there's something wrong with the TV itself, and very unlikely you can fix it yourself. 

Also, I have a Vizio TV in the same room as my Sharp Roku TV, and the remotes for each TV affect the other. I have to block the IR windows on the Vizio TV so the Roku remote doesn't affect it. So it seems that Roku TVs use the same codes as Vizio, or at least my Sharp version does.

Dan

erin25
Level 7

Thank you. Did you also have this same issue with your TV, so you know that this will work?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@erin25 wrote:

Thank you. Did you also have this same issue with your TV, so you know that this will work?

No, I've never had an issue with the remotes for any of my Roku devices. But I had heard of that test before, and I have confirmed that it does work. 

Dan

Tivoburkee

I own three roku tv's and two came with IR only remotes, but both are now using wifi remote I suggested. My TCL came with a wifi voice remote already. We don't have to have the same troubles as you to answer questions here. 

Edmund

boogernose
Level 18

@erin25 

Please just try it. Its impolite to question those trying to help you.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@erin25 

Thanks for the post.

Please contact your TV's manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS. 

For a list of Roku TV manufacturer contact information, visit our Community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

You can also purchase a remote that is compatible with your Roku TV here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Jraver
Level 7

I do not have a roku tv but switches wifi services..my physical remote is not working and my phone won't let me use its remote either because roku is not programmed to my new wifi??? Ahhh help

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Jraver wrote:

I do not have a roku tv but switches wifi services..my physical remote is not working and my phone won't let me use its remote either because roku is not programmed to my new wifi??? Ahhh help

This thread deals with a Roku TV issue. I suggest creating a new thread with your question, as many people that might potentially be able to help won't see it here.

Dan

0 Kudos