Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kletsdoit

Roku TV - Can I switch channels without closing apps?

This is a suggestion for roku TV.

I would like to be able to switch inputs without closing the app I'm using. For example say I'm watching a show on Hulu, but I have a raspberry pi plugged into my HDMI 1 port. I'd like to be able to switch to the HDMI input briefly and then go back to Hulu without having to select my profile, find the show I was watching and resume playback. That is slow and I just want to be able to switch between inputs rapidly.

6 REPLIES 6
thetick
Roku Guru

Re: switch channels without closing apps

You can thank all the big media conglomerates that required Digital Rights Management (DRM)  in the HDMI protocol for that.  The HDMI standard requires reinitialization when source is changed.  DRM is there to prevent you from digitally copying.

TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO MAX. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
0 Kudos

Isn't there a way to bypass it?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Nope. And it would likely require a complete overhaul of the Roku OS, as it isn't currently developed for multi-tasking. With the limited memory and processing power of Roku devices, you would likely encounter performance issues if apps could remain operating in the background. With my Shield, it does keep apps running in the background, but it can also become a significant load on the system with too many left open.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

That's an interesting limitation.  I just popped around through a bunch of inputs on my conventional (12 year old) TV system and didn’t lose my place anywhere.  So, I continue to prefer a simple/dumb TV with devices attached. (Though I don't really change inputs with a show in-progress all that often.)

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

But your TV isn't the one that's actually running the information on your various connected devices. They are all running independently from the TV's "brain". All the TV does in that case is switch between the various inputs, with them all running on their own. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Yes that's what I'm saying - I continue to prefer a display that is just a display.

0 Kudos