Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
1hotgranma
Level 7

Re: Lip sync audio and visual lagging

Jump to solution

Usually happens with Prime Video. Nothing helps. Tried all the 'fixes' that folks suggest. Really bad on the movue 'Wag The Dog's. Why?

0 Kudos
Dennis45
Level 9

Jump to solution

Because they suck at customer service!

The "Audio lag" problem has gone on for almost a year in some cases with zero help from either TCL or ROKU. In-fact they won't even acknowledge that a problem exists. One only needs to peruse their Facebook page to understand that they don't want to hear any nonsense that their product has major setbacks. Tickets are opened by their so-called "gifted technicians" only to be closed without resolution or explanation.   

My only advice is to save your money and purchase from a manufacture that has proven service and customer care. TCL/ROKU do not fall into that category. 

Simply read the thousands of complaints on the same issue and the absolute denial and chirping of crickets from both ROKU and TCL. 

I've replaced 2 of the 3 TCL/ROKU TV's effected/infected with a Sony and a Samsung and both have performed without all the above issues. Unfortunately the third (75") of these TV's will have to wait for better economic times to be replaced, but replaced it will be!

AlisonR
Level 8

Jump to solution

TCL 65 inch class 5 QLED 4K UHD 

No soundbar, but have sync issues that progress over time. Just got tv 2 days ago. Have only watched Hulu Live channels, but changing channels does not stop the sync issue. Going back to the home button and launching Hulu again helps but within an hour have quite a lag again. 

Cannot find Volume Modes by pressing the * button but a list of options do appear on the left. Perhaps my model doesn’t give a Volume Modes option. Model 65S535

0 Kudos
smtips
Level 9

Jump to solution

If I was you I'd send it back. Regardless how much Roku and TCL want to non-own the issue by their ignorance of the complaints, these TV's have a VERY SERIOUS issue with sound processing and neither company is fessing up to the issue and addressing it. If you do send it back and they offer to take a reason why, refer them to this forum page. And publicize it on social media if you're into that kind of thing.

0 Kudos
Dennis45
Level 9

Jump to solution

Send it back and purchase Sony or Samsung! 
Clearly TCL/Roku have no intentions on addressing or resolving this issue. 
It took 27 months to create the first atomic bomb and TCL/Roku can’t fix a audio sync issue in close to the same amount of time.

0 Kudos
GuitarMan
Level 10

Jump to solution

TCL claims the next firmware release from Roku, V10.0, is supposed to fix the audio sync problems.    I don't know whether to believe them or not.

I've gone through all kinds of issues with TCL including having them replace a defective TCL Alto 9+ soundbar.  Ironically, the audio sync problem is worse when using a TCL TV with a TCL soundbar than when using a Vizio soundbar.  With the new soundbar I have sync problems whether I have the TV set to Auto Detect or Audio Passthrough and whether I use the TV's built-in apps or an external device like a Firestick or Apple TV 4K.  Fortunately the Firestick has its own sync adjustment that can be adjusted in both directions.  The Apple TV doesn't though. 

It gets worse the longer I have the TV and Apple TV on.  If I restart them both after a couple of hours it gets better but never syncs perfectly.  Actually the Apple TV needs to be restarted every so often anyway or the picture will freeze.  I'm convinced that most of the TVs and streaming devices being sold today are **bleep** in one way or another. 

So far the only thing that has fixed the sync issue is connecting the Apple TV directly to the soundbar.  That presents another problem though...when the soundbar powers on it defaults to its HDMI2 port which works as an output, not an input, so I have to manually switch the soundbar to its HDMI1 port.  So either way I have to go through a variety of steps to get all of this "smart" equipment to actually function when I turn it on. 

I'd consider returning the TV and getting the Hisense 9G instead but how does one even return a TV through Amazon if you don't have the box anymore?

BTW, as an aside, when I bought this TV I forgot that Costco offers an excellent extended warranty when you buy a TV through them.  Unfortunately I forgot about that and bought it from Amazon instead.   Also, I was looking at the TCL and a Hisense but Costco didn't carry either one at the moment.  In hindsight I should have spent a little more and bought a Samsung, LG, or Sony from Costco.  

I really hope TCL and Roku manage to get this fixed with the next firmware release. 

smtips
Level 9

Jump to solution

I would call Amazon (type call Amazon customer service in the search to find out how to get them to call you), and just tell them the situation, you cannot keep it with such horrible quality and flaws. Refer them to their own reviews for TCL 635, there are multiple complaints there about it. They will arrange a pickup from Fedex or Amazon to pick up the TV.

U-Haul offers an excellent TV box just for this purpose that fits TV's up to 70", just search Flat Panel TV Moving Box on their site. It costs 20 bucks and I'm sure you can find a U-Haul locally to pick one up at.

And although Amazon's return policy says the below, I'd just let them know, I didn't expect any such issues, and I did not have room to hang on to the original box, you guys have to do something and work with me. They will.

• Televisions are returnable for any reason within 30 days of receipt of shipment.
  • Returns for televisions must be in new condition, in original packaging, and with all personal data removed via factory reset.
  • If the item is damaged or defective, Amazon will provide a free return or replacement.
  • Contact the manufacturer directly for product registration and warranty-related information.
0 Kudos
Navidson
Level 7

Jump to solution

Gotta say, its really depressing to get a new TV for my daughter today and have a problem come up within hours that I can track back to 2019 with one internet search...

For my part:

Tcl roku tv. Same stuttering and delayed audio. Started while trying to watch a movie on the built in Amazon prime app. Once it was happening it affected everything, including the nentindo switch and ps4 on hdmi 1 and 2 respectively. A quick on off of the TV did nothing to fix it, however I had the "leveling" option under volume mode turned on, and when i turned that off there was a noticeable jump in the audio which caught everything up. I will have to see if that is a permanent fix or a temporary one, but either way its a bandaid on a problem that shouldn't exist anymore.

Thank you to all the users that figured out that temporary solution together.

0 Kudos
smtips
Level 9

Jump to solution

I doubt very much that it's a permanent fix. I tried everything conceivable when mine was doing it at 2 weeks old. The only thing that seemed to work for any period of time (like, a day or two) was to do a hard reset of the entire TV with the button located near the inputs. Then I decided since that didn't fix it either, I would just plug in my Firestick to the Denon receiver, as well as my WD Live Streaming box, and plug only the input from the Denon on HDMI 4 eArc. So the TV is processing NO sound now as it's all being done directly through the receiver, and it works for me as I don't use other components. But if I had others I'd just do the same thing, the receiver has 4 or 5 inputs on it.

Most people don't have the options I have like that with a receiver, they only have a sound bar they can't do it with.

Again the recommendation IMHO is to just return the TV and publicize the bad experience. Post it on as many reviews sites as you can and blast them on facebook and twitter for doing nothing about it. The only thing that will make these people get off their butts and start paying attention to this issue is to affect their bottom line and their reputation.

0 Kudos
AlisonR
Level 8

Jump to solution

Indeed, it is a problem and probably warrants sending it back. It was purchased on the weekend (it is April 14, it was purchased April 10, wall mounted April 11). Payed to have it wall mounted. I have very bad arthritis and the entire idea of trying to take it back (was purchased at a Best Buy one hour away, I live in a small town) is daunting. If this can be solved, I’d like to try to work at a solution. But I’m starting to lose hope! 
I have no idea how to get to “volumes mode” or “leveling” - these options do not exist when I press *. These have been recommendations on every place I’ve searched - while watching tv, press * and go to Volumes Mode. I checked that there are no software updates, that I am up to date. Software version is 9.4.2. So the help that some people have with pressing * and going to Volumes Mode and turning that off doesn’t seem like something I can do. There was also a mention of “leveling” and I don’t see that option anywhere either. There is a Sound Mode but I can’t turn that off, you select from options that are: speech, theater, big bass, high treble, music, normal. That is it. I’ve tried them all, doesn’t stop the picture lagging the sound. 
I only have the tv plugged into the wall, and am using WiFi and my Hulu, Netflix, HBO etc apps. It was replacing a smaller Vizio tv that was 7 years old but did not have any lag issues. 
One thing - the video lags the sound, at least for me. Sound first, lips move later. It seems to happen immediately and then progressively gets worse. 

0 Kudos