Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Liptonsmom01
Level 7

Re: Lip sync audio and visual lagging

Jump to solution

Thank u so much!! I've been having this problem for a couple of weeks and it's been really annoying!! I followed your instructions exactly (not thinking it would work) and it DID!! IMMEDIATLEY!! SO RELIEVED!!

BernieP
Level 7

Jump to solution

It works. 

BetsyT13
Level 8

Jump to solution

Please describe in detail what you did to resolve your issue.

Thank you 

BernieP
Level 7

Jump to solution

I pressed * on the remote. Scrolled down to Volume Mode and turned it off. 

smtips
Level 9

Jump to solution

It's astounding how these so called remedies work for some but not for most. Your little "trick" for disabling volume mode will only work for a little while, then the issues come right back. Same with the cache clearing nonsense.

Dennis45
Level 9

Jump to solution

As much as it pains me I have to agree with you. All the so called "fixes" are like putting a band-aid on a cut artery. I doubt well see a true "fix, workaround, update" or anything else you'd like to call it anytime soon from either TCL or Roku. They're both going to lose the loyalty they once had. I'm pulling the plug on all of my TCL's and will be replacing them with better quality sets. The aggravation this has caused is not worth any further effort on my part. 

Visitor45763
Level 14

Jump to solution

@smtips wrote: It's astounding how these so called remedies work for some but not for most. 

That's something that stood out to be shortly after coming to this forum. The software must be a mess (spaghetti). Or, there's no meaningful hardware spec & test suite. How can five different forms of reset work so differently for so many people (Unplugging works for one person, but not another. Pinhole factory reset works for one, but not menu factory reset. All the same problem too.). 

When Roku's untested update wrecked antenna tv, a bunch of TCL owners were complaining the new "recently viewed" didn't have antenna channels. I have two TCLs. Both of mine had antenna channels in "recents." And, one streaming channel that I hadn't even watched. (Everything was out of order, and didn't reflect any pattern of having been recently viewed). 

We all had the same version of software. How could the software be that tied to different models of TCL? For something so primitive? (just keeping track of the last channel viewed? An ordered list?). How could differences in hardware affect a program's ability to maintain that list? The program knows what channel you're on. Hardware doesn't change anything in that department.

It's like, the more I see, the worse it looks. The worst part is: Roku doesn't seem to think there's a problem. They act arrogant, like nothing could possibly go wrong. Stock's at an all-time high. Investors love them. "Uh huh. Talk to the hand." This is exactly how MagicJack was a decade ago. On the lips of everyone. A reverse IPO got everyone lathered up. A couple years of hubris like Roku's. And then, nobody remembers it. Sold to a company nobody ever heard of, delisted.

TCL (and everyone else) is making Android TVs now. I'm not in love with Android/Google. But, Roku CEO Wood was exclaiming his desire to be Android on TV some years ago. Now what? It seems like Roku has given up. Wood sold stock worth over $360 million in February alone. The company is pouring money into original content production (compete with Netflix, et al.). Roku TV is not a priority anymore.

We just had a 2-3 day tv guide outage. Roku couldn't even be bothered to inform its helpdesk that it would be receiving a lot of calls (about a *known* problem). The helpdesk had people unplugging their tvs, and gathering serial numbers, etc. All the mindless, scripted support. Roku couldn't even post a "we're aware of it" msg on their Facebook page, or even here in this forum. They still haven't acknowledged a problem existed. That's the status quo for Roku. "Act like nothing's happening."

I'm replacing one of my TCL Roku's with a TCL Android in a couple weeks. (I'm not in love with TCL. I just want to get a baseline comparison of whether it suffers from the same bizarre problems TCL Roku tvs do. I'll spend $50 for a 4-5 year extended warranty to hedge my bet.).

I believe we're witnessing history being made. We'll talk about this period of time 5-10 years from now when Roku TVs were a great idea by people who couldn't cross the chasm of edgy innovation to mainstream. Just because Roku comes on TVs (i.e., people get it without actually choosing it with much intention), and an unprecendented pandemic has driven millions of at-home consumers to buy one, doesn't mean Roku's doing it right. IMO, this pandemic could be the worst thing to happen to Roku. Instead of a windfall, it's actually moving future customers into the current period -- and there's that many more people seeing what we're seeing. Everything from Roku is that they don't see this as a risk. They don't care. They've moved on.  

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Matthew1976
Level 7

Jump to solution

I’ve had my Roku for 4 years and never had a problem until a few days ago the speech doesn’t keep up with the words on all channels YouTube and prime and Pluto and all my channels I’ve been in settings and tried everything.

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Level 14

Jump to solution

@Matthew1976 wrote: 

You could try the so-called "clear cache:"

Hit HOME 5 times.
UP once.
REWIND twice.
FAST FORWARD twice. (Clears cache & tv reboots itself. Be patient. It takes 2-3 minutes for the tv to go black, and come back on)

Nobody knows what this does (Roku won't explain). It's definitely more than a restart. Your tv will seem like it hung, and take longer than a restart. It has fixed some people's problems (but not other people with the same problem).

If you can't solve it, you can use an inexpensive Amazon Firestick Lite through an HDMI port. That inexpensive device has a sync setting to fix things like this. (If you don't like the idea of two remotes, you can use an inexpensive Sofabaton F2. I show how I mapped my keys here.).

As you'll notice in that thread, if you stream through an external device, there's no reason to continue exposing your tv investment to Roku's untested updates. You could factory-reset it, and tell the initial setup you'll connect to internet later (but never do it). That seems to use a lighter and older software. Like everything Roku, nobody's for sure. It could be less problematic that way. But, definitely good to avoid the update roulette if you don't need to.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
smtips
Level 9

Jump to solution

The only reasonable fix I've found for the Firestick other than doing all these hokey ridiculous things suggested before that don't work: Plug the Firestick directly into your Receiver and switch to that A/V receiver input when using Firestick. A lot of people will not have this option as they don't own an actual receiver. This did solve the issue 100% for my Firestick.

This issue is 100% an issue with the way the Roku software and the TCL are processing audio and there is no fix for it short of an overhaul by both TCL and Roku to correct it. My fix for the Firestick proves this. All audio handling is now done through my Denon AV650H and the problem is gone by doing that.

That will not solve any issue with any video device plugged into the TV. The TV now handles only the video through the eArc and no audio at all for my Firestick (which BTW pretty well NEGATES THE ENTIRE REASON for having an Audio Return channel in the first flipping place).

The issue is 100% TCL and Roku and they need to do a serious overhaul on how audio is processed if plugging a device directly into the TV HDMI Inputs and using eArc.

It's sad to say but I think TCL is going to take a big hit with this. You get what you pay for and this serious audio issue clearly illustrates at least one of the WHYS that they are so cheap, and why I'm certain they will be seeing many returns on this TV.

This issue has nothing at all to do with cables or connection. Again, it has to do with the software and the hardware audio processing. My equipment is all brand new less than one month old, including cables and the TV. Which is why I came here looking for answers in the first place, only to find out this nightmare nonsense going on for many many users. My connection is rock solid at 300Mbps on the wireless. Anyone who it was working fine for and suddenly it isn't, can attribute this issue to a software update from Roku.

Please keep this thread moving and post if you too are looking for answers. And post on social media.