Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku TV Audio Dropouts

I've purchased one, and it's en-route.

My typical setup is getting audio through ARC, but I'm willing to try anythings at this point. I use the streaming apps almost exclusively, though the problem also occurs with regular signal. That is, source goes through the receiver, out to the TV, and then audio comes back through ARC. I'm hoping that removing the ARC from the equation might change things, though it seems the TV treats ARC and S/PDIF the same... at least by menu option anyway.

I also have the thing dumbed down to PCM, as I get crackles with Dolby of any sort. The Dolby symbol drops several times a minute which creates a crackle/short interruption. I can live with this, as the PCM is fine, it's the complete audio loss of a second every couple of minutes that kills me.

Thanks for asking though. Oddly, this is the only post on this particular subject, that I could find anyway.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Bought my 55S423 in April 2020.  I have air, streaming, and dvd.  Audio dropouts several times for a second.  THEN one night it dropped permanently.  I tried all the stuff you smarter props have talked about over the last 2 1/2 years, but nothing has worked.  Waiting to hear from TCL.  But I am a cynical person and think that if TCL were going to fix this, they would have already done.  Two and half years of this isn't encouraging.  I bought two of these critters.  Sign of the times.  Had the same problem with a frig, a washer, a dryer and a dishwasher.  Warranty seems to have taken on a new meaning:  Figure it out your own self.  Let you know what TCL says.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I did a factory reset and, be still my heart, I HAVE SOUND!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

That's crazy.  What's an explanation? Bad interaction or mismatch between some persistent settings or other state, and an update to the Roku?  

A potential model for hardware manufacturers is that new products get the love and attention of both engineers and management. Diagnosing edge cases and weird bugs for older hardware is probably unappealing to the best technical people. Agree with you about obsolescence - if not explicitly "planned' it's still very convenient for everyone except the end customer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

So I can say it seems to be localized to the ARC connection. By using a S/PDIF cable, my audio is back without dropouts. Unfortunately I lose all the benefits of using an HDMI connection, such as controlling volume from the Roku remote and automatic shutoff, but at least I have sound.

The problem is, as folks previously have questioned, is it the result of changing to the setup, or the reset? Is it the equivalent of people changing the menu volume that fixes it, which suggests a bug in the software, or a truly bad implementation of the ARC implementation?

As I've had the ARC working the past, I tend to think software bug. Which means, each OS upgrade for this thing is gonna be hit or miss. It'll break it again, or it won't, since they won't have an acknowledged test case to reproduce this.

Sigh. I'll live with the S/PDIF for now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I do so appreciate all of you out there.  Thank goodness for Google as I have to query all your lovely jargin.  So, thank you, my phren is expanding.

I learned long ago that one of life's key rules is when things are working, push and pull.  Unfortunately, with tech stuff, it sometimes takes more time that you wanted to surrender.

All I can say is when I performed the "factory reset," I got new stuff on my tv.  So, even though it tells me it searches for updates every time I turn on my tube, it is not updating me.  When I reset, I got little purple asterisks on the tv guide and some new items in the menu.  So much for quality and process control.

All's well that ends will. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos