Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku TCL keeps turning on and off!

Jump to solution
Recently with the release of the new Pokemon game for the switch, my TCL had been turning on and off by itself without me using the remote. I have already updated my TCL to its current version but, it still keeps crashing and turning on and off. Any idea how to fix this?
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku TCL keeps turning on and off!

Jump to solution

I finally, after months of trying to fix this issue, got my TCL ROKU TV to work properly again. On the side of the TV is a Reset button. I inserted a long pointed object into the recess of the reset button, and then held it for at least 15 seconds (no less, or it doesn't work!).  After that, the TCL Roku reset itself as if a new TV.  I then had to restore all the setting I had for it, including the wifi connection, the ROKU apps, setting such as closed captions, etc. etc. It was a royal pain to have to restore everything, but it now works as it should again. If you've tried everything else without any success, then you may want to try this.  Good luck!

View solution in original post

23 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

did you figure it out or get any help.  I'm having same issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Instead of using the remote or power button to turn it off just try unplugging it.

I had the same problem.  I tried a System Restart through the menus.  That didn't fix it.  Then I just unplugged for about 10 seconds and plugged it back in.  Turned it on for a while.  Turned it off again.  The problem went away.  My guess is some kind of internal timer gets stuck in a loop as long as power is available and removing power clears it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Try turning off the hdmi-cec in the menu of the roku tv:

settings> system> control  other devices(CEC)> uncheck the boxes

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Im having the same issue since november 2019. No fixes anywhere and TCL and Roku blame each other. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Follow up....

First off, I've seen several forums on this and turning off the CEC hdmi doesn't seem to have fixed it for anyone.  Try it but I wouldn't expect it to help.

I also started having the problem again after about a week so ignore my last post about a system restart.

Now good news, at least for me...

I use the Roku app on my phone to listen through headphones. I found that if the app is not fully closed on my phone it seems my tv thinks I still want to watch something and comes back on.  I now close app when I done. No more phantom tv ignition.

Good luck! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I use my phone as well but I've tried turning everything off including the app and it still turns back on. It's causing me to not be able to sleep and I feel like I'm going crazy because anything I try nothing works. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the same exact issue! Last night I updated a driver on my PC, which is connected to my TCL Roku TV by HDMI. All of a sudden while I'm updating the driver the TV turns off and then starts turning on and off repeatedly. I cannot interrupt the process by using the remote at all. I've tried everything:

1. Unplugging the HDMI

2. Trying to turn the TV off and on again manually by holding down the button (nothing happens!)

3. Unplugging the TV entirely

4. Waiting several hours

5. Plugging the TV back in

Nothing. I left it on to see how long it would do this and it's been turning off and on for HOURS.

I have never used the Roku app and I live alone, so it's not that. I uninstalled the drivers that I was installing when this started happening and restarted my computer, but that also did nothing. My TV is not near a window or a neighbor's window even, so it cannot be somebody else's Roku remote. This is absurd. I'm thinking it must be some kind of issue caused by new external devices or device updates when the new external device is connected.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I finally, after months of trying to fix this issue, got my TCL ROKU TV to work properly again. On the side of the TV is a Reset button. I inserted a long pointed object into the recess of the reset button, and then held it for at least 15 seconds (no less, or it doesn't work!).  After that, the TCL Roku reset itself as if a new TV.  I then had to restore all the setting I had for it, including the wifi connection, the ROKU apps, setting such as closed captions, etc. etc. It was a royal pain to have to restore everything, but it now works as it should again. If you've tried everything else without any success, then you may want to try this.  Good luck!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

This fixed it!! Thank you! Wow. What a simple solution to a frustrating problem. I had looked for the rest button on the bottom, back, and right side near the outlet cord input. For those wondering, the Reset button is on the side with the HDMI inputs, or the left side for me. It was right above the inputs. 

0 Kudos