Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Phujimo
Level 8

Re: Roku TCL keeps turning on and off!

Jump to solution

Mine is still perfect a week on. The switch is in the back and includes the power switch and cursor buttons. Obviously, if you need to use it, disconnecting won’t work for you but after trying everything else, I’m pleased to report that the tv now works flawlessly 

Visitor45763
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Phujimo , I think you're saying you used the pinhole reset button on the back of the tv? It worked for you when the software (home>settings>system>advanced) factory reset didn't? 

If you could clarify that, it would help. 

[EDIT: I should have read 9 posts up where Phujimo described it was the power-on button mechanism. Disconnected it.]

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Phujimo
Level 8

Jump to solution

No, the reset didn’t work for me. No software based fixes had any effect. I opened up the tv and physically disconnected the power button. My theory is that it was sending erroneous signals. Since then, perfect

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: HELP

Jump to solution

@Wisdom1970

Thanks for the post.

This may be related to a hardware issue on your TV. Have you tried contacting your Roku TV manufacturer support yet to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS. 

For a list of Roku TV manufacturers contact information, visit our Support page here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
TiredofRowQTVs
Level 7

Jump to solution

The issue was resolved by disconnecting the manual controls on the TV. I have a TLC 40FS3750 and the TV randomly turned on one night and then kept turning on and off. I tried the factory reset, manual reset, and unplugging the TV for several hours—all to no avail. Sometimes when the TV was on, the TV menu, not the Roku menu, would pop up and continuously scroll through the menu options and then randomly turn off. We took the batteries out of all the Roku remotes and removed the Roku apps from our phones just to make sure there wasn’t any interference—the issue persisted. We also saw the issue after a reset prior to connecting to WiFi, so it didn’t appear to be a software issue from a recent update. Before chucking the TV to the curb I decided to crack open the back and disconnect the manual controls—and the TV has worked fine since. Granted, a remote is now the only way to control the TV. At some point I may try to replace the part or try a household refurbish on the existing part. I have two TLC Roku TVs and I’ve had to replace different parts on both—they are value TVs, but my next TV won’t be a TLC Roku

Nick54
Level 7

Jump to solution

Would you mind elaborating a bit more when you say, "decided to crack open the back and disconnect the manual controls"?

I am having all the same problems as you and have tried troubleshooting all the same things that you did (except actually physically opening the tv). I am at my wit's end and am pulling my hair out. I will never buy one of these faulty pieces of equipment again.

Phujimo
Level 8

Jump to solution

That wasn’t be but that user refers to the same procedure. Open the back of the tv by removing the appropriate Philips screws. Some smaller ones secure the screen and don’t have to be removed but the larger ones holding the back in place are the ones you’re after. Then disconnect the ribbon cable and you’ll see where some wires lead to the multifunction switch. Just disconnect the wires from the switch and you’re good to go

Visitor45763
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Nick54 , search youtube for "how to replace tcl tv boards" (something like that). There's lots of videos showing how to take the back off. You might find one for your exact tv model.

I saw on showing how to replace the button module. I don't see it now. It sounds like all you need to do is disconnect the wires from that. (I recall seeing a video which said not all tvs will power on if that's disconnected. If you encounter that, the video I saw showed the person powering on the tv, then disconnecting the cable to that button module. If that caused the tv to stay on, you can buy a replacement button module. You have to google for it. ShopJimmy has a lot of replacement parts for these tvs. But, if you don't need it connected to turn the tv on, then you could just disconnect the module and not worry about it.).

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @Nick54,

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried performing a factory reset on your Roku TV to see if that resolves the issue you are experiencing?

For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

If the issue still persists, please contact your TV's manufacturer directly to report this issue and request additional support. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS.

You can reach them here: https://support.tclusa.com/televisions or at 1-877-300-8837.

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
GoGiFischetti
Level 7

Re: HELP

Jump to solution

It might be your electrical outlet is going bad. If it fluctuates the electrical power slightly it may cause the issue. Also if the plug is not properly plugged in rear of tv or electric outlet. Unfortunately the only way to know if outlet fluctuates is a plug in digital meter that you keep plugged into same outlet. This issue occurs with FireStick. Not sure if it occurs with Roku too.