Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doner24
Level 7

Roku TCL TV won’t connect after upgrading to Google Wifi

Hello, I upgraded my WiFi router to Google WiFi from a Netgear N600 yesterday and now my Roku TV won’t connect. Every other device in the house is connected, and the Roku TV shows that the signal strength is good (confirmed by another device that is streaming well right next to it at 140MBPS), but I get an error that tells me to check the password or restart the TV, which I’ve done numerous times. Any help?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Roku TCL TV won’t connect after upgrading to Google Wifi

I upgraded to a Google WiFi system, and thought if I made my SSID and passkey the same as my old one that everything would be cool, but turns out when I set up my Google WiFi I changed one character of it.. I'd suggest verifying the key to your network by resetting it on the Google WiFi, and then setting up the Roku tv again.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
doner24
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
I upgraded to a Google WiFi system, and thought if I made my SSID and passkey the same as my old one that everything would be cool, but turns out when I set up my Google WiFi I changed one character of it.. I'd suggest verifying the key to your network by resetting it on the Google WiFi, and then setting up the Roku tv again.

Yeah, I checked that and even set up a guest WiFi network and neither worked. Are there settings in the hidden network menus on the Roku that I could give more helpful information on?
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Don't know..

If all else fails, I'd suggest a factory reset on the Roku.. it's a pain to setup things again, but a factory reset fixes almost every "weird" problem.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
doner24
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
Don't know..

If all else fails, I'd suggest a factory reset on the Roku.. it's a pain to setup things again, but a factory reset fixes almost every "weird" problem.

Factory reset did nothing, so I tried changing my password on the WiFi and that didn’t work either. Finally I changed the WiFi network name and password again, making sure it was something unique that the Roku has never seen before and it finally worked.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

The factory reset should have cleared the previous network settings, so strange that fixed it. But great you found a solution!
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
mrzrd83
Level 7

I would guess the Google WiFi is using one of the DFS channels in the 5Ghz range which are usually pretty quiet and Wireless AC routers love to go to them when automatic channel selection is active.

To use my Roku TV with my wireless AC router I had to manually set the channel to one between 36-48 and 149-161 otherwise it wouldn't connect.
Cyberdyne Systems® Model 101 Series 800 with a Neuronet™ CPU
0 Kudos

I have a TCL 55S515 running 8.0.2 and it fails to connect to any DFS channel. Roku? Bueller?
0 Kudos