Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LenahanJ

Roku TCL TV super clunky with Netflix and ultimately freezes & restarts

From time to time when I open Netflix, there begins to be a lag in the time from when I use buttons on the remote until the TV screen responds.  The app will freeze, then the screen will fast forward to where I have been trying to navigate, then freeze again, then the TV restarts.

I have tried to uninstall the app then reinstall it, but the problem persists.

3 REPLIES 3
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Re: Roku TCL TV super clunky with Netflix and ultimately freezes & restarts

@LenahanJ wrote: I have tried to uninstall the Netflix app then reinstall it, but the problem persists.

Did you do a settings>system>power>restart between uninstall & reinstall? Apparently the uninstall may not do what it says it does without that bit of help.

Also, if there's any other apps installed, you might remove them. There's been a couple reports of people with YouTube problems that uninstall/restart/reinstall didn't fix until another app (YouTubeTV) was uninstalled.

If those things don't work, you might consider watching streaming over an HDMI port. Roku's software is a disaster. Nothing gets fixed. It just gets worse. So, discretion being the better part of valor (as they say), spending $20-$40 on an external device and moving on with your life might be the best option. (Others have done that.).

If you do that, then there's no reason for the tv to be connected to the internet(?). You might consider doing a settings>system>advanced>factory-reset. During the initial setup, tell it you don't have internet. It will install a basic version of the software (antenna tv works much better this way too). Never connect it to the internet. This will protect your tv from future Roku updates which tend to break tvs. You can use your tv for as long as it lasts, without Roku's software contributing to an early death. (If you're thinking you can always get back to that basic software if/when an update breaks the tv further, that may not be the case. I thought it was something embedded in the tv. But, forum user sksR said it's updated with the updates. So, eventually Roku may negatively affect that baseline functionality too. From my perspective, the sooner you disconnect from the internet, the safer your tv will be.).

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos

I'd like to throw my voice into this too. Same issue – I have a TCL Roku TV model 40S325 that connects to my internet just fine, with good signal. The TV works well for most Apps, but more often than not the Netflix App stalls and lags and completely quits – sometimes restarting the TV altogether. I've deleted the channel and reinstalled it and had the same issue. We just bought this TV in September, so this is super disappointing. It's past the point of returning it, but way too new to justify buying a new one. This is unacceptable. Streaming is the only real reason to buy one of these and if the biggest streaming service out there isn't working correctly, then that's a total bait and switch.

The number of people complaining about this exact issue -- all in different locations, with different home network situations -- means this has nothing to do with my router. Especially since most of the other channels work without a problem. Please update the firmware/software/or Netflix App as soon as possible so it works the way it's supposed to... Please get this fixed!

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@delectrolux wrote: We just bought this TV in September.

I would make a warranty claim immediately. Roku hasn't acknowledged a problem exists. If you look back through pages (months/years) of this forum, there's a lot of people saying "please fix this" about things that still aren't fixed. Maybe if the tv makers feel the expense of warranting Roku's untested software updates, they'll make themselves heard in a way customers obviously aren't.

The tv maker may tell you it's a Roku problem. But, your warranty is with the tv maker. If they made a poor choice licensing Roku's software, that's their problem.

You could also consider filing a complaint with the FTC. Your point about bait-and-switch is a good one. (If the tv maker deflects responsibility for their warranty, that's another very strong point to raise in your complaint.). Your state AG's office also takes such complaints, or will know of the state agency that does. (If you're in Canada, you probably have better protections against flim-flam than we do.).

The only thing I might disagree with you about is that the only reason to buy these tvs is for streaming.

On the surface, that seems obvious & without dispute. But, TCL tvs are inexpensive. If you like the picture, I think it's perfectly reasonable to read the writing on the wall (about Roku and its untested updates). Do a factory reset, tell it you'll setup the internet connect later (but never do it!). You'll find yourself with a less bloated version of Roku's software. It will be protected from future harm (updates) by not being on the internet. You can get a Firestick Lite for $22. 

Life is too short to let Roku's irresponsibility be part of it.  For $22 more than you spent for your tv, you can protect your investment from untested updates. You won't be constantly wondering if a fix is coming (when history says there's no reason to believe). 

When you buy a new laptop, it comes with adware & bloatware which slows down the laptop. People don't say the laptop is useless. They just reinstall a clean version of Windows. I think this situation with Roku is similar. My two TCL TVs are terrific. Kicking Roku out of my house was all they needed. 

What I'm saying is: I wouldn't get hung up on the principle of the matter. You're right. Your tv shouldn't be wrecked by untested updates. But, that's how it is. (My brand new laptop shouldn't have bloatware/adware. But, it does.). #Walkaway

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos