Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bnesbitt
Level 7

Roku TCL TV's: Which models have "soap opera effect" by default or always?

I'm ready to buy a Roku TV, if I can work out in advance the issues surrounding "soap opera effect" otherwise known as motion smoothing.
I watch primarily movies through a blue-ray or DVD player, and absolutely positively don't want "soap opera effect".
Are the TCL/Roku TV sets with soap opera, as other Internet sources report, or is that a myth?
0 Kudos
32 Replies

Re: Roku TCL TV's: Which models have "soap opera effect" by default or always?

You might help us by linking to some explanation of this. I have two TCL Roku TVs and they are fine. There are no settings in the TV for motion smoothing or "soap opera effect."
0 Kudos
MikeFromMesa
Level 7

"scottypie1234" wrote:
You might help us by linking to some explanation of this. I have two TCL Roku TVs and they are fine. There are no settings in the TV for motion smoothing or "soap opera effect."

Perhaps the OP is referring to the refresh rate of the TV. The faster the refresh rate the smoother the action when people move. Some TVs advertise their faster (i.e., 120 Hz or 240 Hz) refresh rate over the standard 60 Hz.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

Hate motion smoothing.  Horrible.
0 Kudos
mike_s
Level 8

"Roku TV" is a misnomer. Roku doesn't make any TVs. There are a bunch of different model TVs with Roku software built-in, from multiple manufacturers. AFAIK, Roku doesn't make manufacturers support motion smoothing, nor does it prohibit them from doing so. There's no direct answer to your question unless you specify exactly which TV you're considering.
0 Kudos
bnesbitt
Level 7

The question is specific to TCL TV's that use Roku as control software.

"Soap opera effect" is a deliberate motion smoothing used on various TV models which some people apparently like, but
greatly changes the "feel" of movies and DVD content.  At times it does the weirdest thing adding an apparent panning effect when the director did not intend for there to be one.

On Samsung TV's it can be turned off.
For background read:
https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-the-s ... ra-effect/
(Or search CNet.com for "What is the soap opera effect").

[youtube:1an2shrb]zyIqwrKqTj0[/youtube:1an2shrb]

[youtube:1an2shrb]B_dE6HPIAJM[/youtube:1an2shrb]
0 Kudos
mike_s
Level 8

Looks great. Not sure why it's called the "soap opera effect," but it's definitely an improvement over the "stop motion effect."
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Soap Opera Effect is a term used to describe the differences between TV programs shot on video compared to filmed content. Content on video had a noticeable difference in appearance. It generally looks a little "artificial", although that's probably not a brilliant description. Many people prefer the smoother, more "natural" appearance of filmed content. With modern video equipment the difference seen on broadcast programs no longer has the same level of difference.
When the motion processing is enabled on a TV, it makes the image appear more like the older TV programs shot on video. Some sets have multiple settings that allow fine tuning the processing to smooth out the motion without making the image too "soapy". 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
mike_s
Level 8

"atc98092" wrote:
Many people prefer the smoother, more "natural" appearance of filmed content. 

So there are lots of confused people out there. 24 FPS is quite obviously not "smoother, more natural" than 30 FPS, let alone 60 FPS. They must really hate the real world and all it's analog, jerky, unnatural continuity.  Smiley LOL
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 9

I would never buy a tv where you can't turn that crappy soap opera mode off.
It is fine for like animated movies and in a way kinda makes them look almost 3d sometimes. For films, it ruins the experience.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra 4640 (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos