Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wh1skles

Roku TCL TV Randomly Factory Resets

For about a month or two now after usually 10 minutes of having the TV on it randomly factory resets, then takes me to the 'Let’s get started' screen. I’ve already manually factory reset it and left it unplugged for 2 nights. I don't know what to do.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Re: Roku TCL TV Randomly Factory Resets

There are many people having a recovery-mode loop:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Never-ending-Recovery-Mode-Screen/m-p/621012#M12065

I got the impression that problem is immediate, not "10 minutes later." If I recall, someone posted the past few days they also had this problem like yours (it would work for a short time, then reset itself). 

If it were me, what I would do is tell the initial setup you don't have internet. It will install some software version that the tv came with (there's some lack of clarity about this. My tv works much, much better this way. It's clearly a prior version of software. But, I don't know what it is. The "about" screen still says 9.4. But, seeing how Roku develops software, they could have forgot to blank that out. It's just a value stored in a field from when I did have 9.4.).

Roku's updates aren't tested, and break a lot of tvs. At least 9.4 did/does. So, what I'd try to ascertain from this "no internet" factory-reset is if the problem continues or not. If it continues, then I'd think you have a hardware problem.

If the problem goes away, then you're another affected by 9.4. IMO, that would be the preferable outcome of this experiment. Roku's not going to fix anything (they don't care about their customers. Look back through months and years of this forum. Problem reports are treated like suggestions. Just "passed along" and disregarded.). But, you could continue using your tv with whatever version that factory-reset (without internet) is. An inexpensive streaming stick connected to the tv's HDMI port would work. (My tv's antenna tuner works better this way too. Much better.). You'd be protected from future untested Roku updates. It seems like all upside to me. 

If the problem continues (after you tell the reset you don't have internet), then there are videos and how-to blogs about how to repair these tvs. Apparently there's just 5 modules that can be purchased on Amazon, eBay, etc. You might find someone who had the problem and fixed it (which board to replace). But, my money is on the problem goes away, and you just need a $30 streaming stick. Cut the cord from Roku. Hardware problems seems more coincidental compared to the Roku-induced problems.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos