Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrussell

Roku Streambar with Dell Computer Monitor

SUCCESS!!!! I connected my new Roku Streambar to my computer monitor (Dell 27 4K UHD Monitor - S2721QS). No extra cords or cables needed, other than those that came with the Streambar and the Dell monitor. No weird adapters or anything needed! No issues with the HDMI port on my computer monitor NOT being HMDI-ARC -- the sound simply plays through the Streambar, and the computer monitor shows the picture (i.e. Netflix show). And the picture quality is great, just as I expected with this screen purchase. I now we double use out of the screen, as it is my home office monitor by day and guest room TV by night. Hope this helps someone because I looked high and low for answers on this and couldn't find a solid answer! Roku customer support actually told me it wouldn't work either and that they dont advise weird adapters or anything as they arent tested. BUT I DID IT WITH NO ISSUE!

Things to consider: My monitor has an HDMI connection port, my monitor is 4k UHD screen quality, and my monitor DOES have speakers/audio capability. I don't know if this plays into the success of the Streambar connection to this particular monitor, but it works! 

NOTE: during Roku set up, when you get to the screen that says the message that you don't have HDMI ARC on this 'TV', simply scroll to the bottom, PAST 'retry', and select the 'my TV doesnt support HDMI ARC' (or something similar to this). I completely missed this!!

9 REPLIES 9
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Streambar with Dell Computer Monitor

The only need for ARC would be if it were a "normal" TV and you wanted the OTA sound to be fed back to the Streambar. Since you're using a display without a tuner, that's a moot point. And since it's not a smart TV, there's no internal streaming apps that would need their audio sent back. So yes, ARC is not necessary for your setup. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
jatr30

Hi mrussell

Thank you, exactly what i was looking for. Are you able to control the volume coming from the Roku Streambar using the remote?

Many thanks

John

iamtheone

Hi, I set up the same way but how do you switch between PC and TV? I think it would be painful to connect streambar HDMI cable and then disconnect it to connect PC HDMI cable. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

If the monitor has multiple inputs, you can use the buttons on the remote to change inputs. If you need to use the same input for the Roku and the computer, you either have to swap cables or get an external HDMI switcher. They sell very inexpensive switches from places like Amazon. Just make sure the switcher supports the highest resolution the monitor supports, assuming you want the computer and Roku to use that resolution. So if the switch is only rated for 1080, and you want it at 4K, you need a switch rated for 4K resolution. 

Dan

B0nez

THANK YOU for posting your experience! I have been looking high and low for this type of information as I also have a small home office which doubles as a guest room so I am trying to work out a similar setup before I make any purchases.
I was hoping to find if anyone has any experience with this type of setup using some of the ultra-wide curved gaming monitors but haven't had much success yet.  I sure appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge!

internetvic1
Channel Surfer

I too have successfully set up a 4K Benq  monitor as a TV with the Roku Streambar. It is a fantastic all in one solution. My only regret is that I should have purchased a 32" 4K monitor instead of a 28".

I wanted a small 4K TV and the Streambar has made this a reality.

0 Kudos
Linset68

Would it work with a Benq monitor?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Linset68 wrote:

Would it work with a Benq monitor?

A Roku Streambar, same as any other HDMI capable device, doesn't care what monitor it's connected to, as long as the monitor supports the available resolution and refresh rates of the device. Of course, if your Benq monitor doesn't have speakers, then connecting a Blu Ray player to it wouldn't accomplish much, as you'd only be able to view the video and not hear anything.

If your Benq monitor does not have HDMI inputs, then a converter would be required to connect a Roku Streambar, or any other such video device, to the video input of the monitor. It used to be computer monitors only had VGA connectors (the 9 pin connector so common, it's almost always blue), then they added DVI (which was a larger connector with more pins, and usually white). Along came HDMI, and now Display port is a common connection. As long as you have HDMI in, you're good with the Roku Soundbar.

Dan

caamable

I bought a Roku streambar to install to a HP 32f monitor.  It works very good. 

The monitor shows an excellent video and the streambar an excellent audio.  I can control the roku channels and the volume with the remote perfectly.  I am very satisfied as I got to use a monitor to stream.

The only think I can not do is to turn on/off the streambar, neither the monitor with the remote. 

So, at this moment the streambar is always on (unless I disconnect) and I have to turn on/off the monitor manually.

Is this something that Roku can improve in their software to make it compatible with monitors too?