Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lsantos13
Reel Rookie

Roku Streambar as a standalone speaker

Jump to solution

I noticed that the Roku Streambar has an optical input in the rear

Does that mean I can plug a source into that optical input and use the Streambar as a speaker only?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Streambar as a standalone speaker

Jump to solution

@lsantos13 @gfharders

Thanks for the inquiry.

The optical input on the Roku Streambar is for connecting the Streambar to the TV in the event that the TV does not have a HDMI ARC connection, in which case you would need both an optical cable and a HDMI cable to connect the device.

For more information about the Roku Streambar, visit our Support page here: Learn about Streambar

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
gfharders
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I would like hear about this too.  I already have the  Roku Ultra for streaming and am thinking about getting the Streambar for sound only.  Is this possible and, if so, do I only need to use the optical cable?  Thanks...

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@lsantos13 @gfharders

Thanks for the inquiry.

The optical input on the Roku Streambar is for connecting the Streambar to the TV in the event that the TV does not have a HDMI ARC connection, in which case you would need both an optical cable and a HDMI cable to connect the device.

For more information about the Roku Streambar, visit our Support page here: Learn about Streambar

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
gfharders
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Danny…Thanks for your reply,  

Just to verify,  I need to use an HDMI cable (either ARC or not) even though I plan to only use the Streambar’s audio capability and will not be using it for video streaming (I will use my Roku Ultra).  Is that correct?

Thanks…Grant 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I use roku streambar as my computer speakers. I have analog phonoplug 3.5mm out of my computer to analog to digital converter. Out of the converter is optical attached to my Roku streambar, works great. The computer is attached to monitor without audio. I also have the computer and streambar connected to 1 in 2 out hdmi switch, press a button and I can see the roku streambar home screen on the monitor. Don't which video on the monitor from the streambar, just use it for pandora and other audio channels. So yes it can be used as just a speaker but you will have to set the roku account and pair the remote for it to work. But you don't have to sign in to channels you aren't going to be using. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
schtan

Jump to solution

i have a new to me streambar and it seems to only play out of the left speaker.

older samsung tv with hdmi 1.4 no ARC and optical out so that is how i have it hooked to the soundbar

also windows desktop connects to it with bluetooth and there is a delay in the audio and seems to favor the left speaker also.

roku tv favors the left in a phase e (sic) sorta way. 

tv audio is left side only

any ideas?

thanks

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@schtan

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
AEaton

Jump to solution

hi, thank you, but your response was a little too technical for me 🙂 I just want to know if I can use the Roku Streambar as a standalone speaker for my tv without using the Roku remote. I’m happy w my Comcast access and remote, and also use google cromcast steaming device. Can I just plug & play speaker, and what is the most basic setup - do I need to get an additional cord. My tv does have HDMI plugs.

Id rather retune my Streambar before opening it, if it isn’t going to work. It was much more affordable than other tv speakers. Thank you!

0 Kudos
cristinaM

Jump to solution

Thank you for your answer! I'm looking to get rid of my bookshelf speakers, and replace them with a Streambar. The only other thing I used the bookshelf speakers for was my turntable. If I get an RCA to optical converter, could I use the Streambar as a speaker for my turntable?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@cristinaM

Thanks for the inquiry.

The Streambar will only be used when connected to a TV and does not function as a standalone speaker that can be connected to other external devices.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos