maguirlj
Channel Surfer

Re: Sound distortion & static

Only reason I am not screaming is I have the wireless speakers.. only time I have the issue is the sound that comes out of the center Chanel .. stream bar..  with lots of bass it is horrible 

desham03855
Reel Rookie

We had an older model of ROKU for several years, it had this problem. The only thing we could do was pause the show for about 5 minutes, it would be gone for a while after that.

Now we have an Ultra......surprise, does the same thing!  Especially while watching Youtube.

Sometimes it actually happens several times during the same show.....very annoying!!

We try unplugging everything, helps for a while, but again not long enough .

I have considered getting a Roku TV, but I'm afraid it will still happen again.

Is there anyway to fix this problem permanently ?????????

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I have three different versions of the Ultra, as well as several other Roku players and TVs. I have never had distortion or static from any of them. Two of the Ultras are connected through a Yamaha AVR, while the rest are just TV sound. I can't say why some have static issues, but it's not something I've ever seen, and I've been using Roku devices for about 8 years now. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
goat
Binge Watcher

Yea I hear ya. I resolved to just using the TVs output (new Samsung, and built in speakers are nice enough to get by until I/we figure this out...)

0 Kudos
goat
Binge Watcher

I have several other Roku's and have 'never' had this problem before. I have an ultra as well, and don't have the static issue. 

My issue is only with my Roku Streambar. Interesting concept a device > small tv soundbar with a built in Roku. Was cool, until a few months later #farts

As for your issue, I'd definitely try on a different TV if possible. It's possible the issue is the same as my streambar, but being the streambar has speakers built-in... hard to pinpoint which part of the my roku is causing the speakers to derp.

As for the Roku TV, I has one of those too. Looked it for about 1.5 years before the blacklight died on it. Never had audio issues, and really loved how everything was integrated together with roku functions.

I had gotten it cheap on a Black Friday sales event... so less bottom-hurt when it died young. I do plan to fix it and swap it with one of my much older TVs.

I'll update IF I make any leeway with this issue. My 'guess' is there's a Roku Ultra inside the Streambar. It's fast and powerful like my standalone Ultra. So... maybe.

0 Kudos
goat
Binge Watcher

Yea I agree. I have 4 Rokus + a Roku TV + now the derpn Streambar. And had many more in the past come through my hands/household.

Though my Roku TV (TCL) died lfematii, I blame that more on TCL.

As for my Streambar however, DEF unexpected behavior. I'm pretty positive it's firmware/driver related... which of course we have little to no control over.

I did find some ways to get into advanced / developers settings, but really wasn't much happening there. Lots of audio related settings, but that specifically helped with the static issue.

I haven't had time to follow back up with Roku regarding the factory restart not being any helpful (figured it wouldn't have been). The goal now is to bring enough attention to the issue that hopefully we can get the ear of a more advanced rep/tech there to further explore the problem.

Side note, IF Roku actually gave us a little more controls with audio, like Audio > Advance > Equalizer ... I could probably tweak it enough to make it be almost unnoticeable. BUT, unfortunately the sound options are child's play, and you have only 4 options. (Bass): Off, Normal, Reduced, Boost.

Anything BUT Off, sounds terrible. But with Bass off, the worse than TV speakers. All mid to low bass is effectively disabled, and makes for a bad and frustrating audio experience.

As I pinged to another commenter, for now... I just converted back to the TV speakers as default. Which is much better for the time-being.

Thx

Lucutis9
Reel Rookie

I’m having the same issue started after a mo th or so of me having it. Does anyone have a Roku sub? I was wondering if that would eliminate the issue.

METBOT17

I was thinking the same.  I’ve had this stream bar for a few months not and it’s all staticky now.  I was wondering if the speakers just went out on them. 

0 Kudos
SolidST8

I'm having the same sound distortion and static that others are reporting with the bass frequencies.  Tried all the different "fixes" and nothing helps.  Unplugging and resetting it sometimes makes it sound okay for a few minutes, then it goes back to that blown-bass sounding garbage.  Completely unacceptable.  Streaming music over BT especially sounds terrible.  This makes me feel like the hardware on the unit is probably fine, and there's a serious software issue.  When is there going to be a fix or a recall?  We're supporting your products Roku, you need to support your customers!

0 Kudos
cybergrimes
Reel Rookie

My FIL got his replaced under warranty, he said it sounds fine now. I really thought it was a software problem but maybe not?