Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JamWales
Binge Watcher

Roku Streambar - Private Listening does not work with my TV/Sky audio, fine with Roku itself

Jump to solution

Hello,

I've just connected up my Roku Streambar - so I'm just getting to grips with it. I've come across the following oddity, which I'm not sure if it is a fault, by design or something I'm not doing right/understanding correctly - or may just be my misunderstanding on how the Streambar works?

Our setup

Roku Device = Roku and Roku Mobile iOS App

Mobile = iPhone, iOS 14.6

TV = Sony Bravia KD-43XD8305 - network, fixed connection
Sky = Sky Plus HD Box - network, fixed connection

Connections

TV via HDMI (1)  to/from  Sky
TV via Arc/HDMI(3)   to/from   Roku Streambar

The TV and Sky sound plays fine through the Roku Streambar itself. As is my iPhone able to play sound through the Roku Streambar via Bluetooth. Private listening works fine to my iPhone headphones via the Roku Streambar itself.

The problem is with Private Listening using my TV and Sky - it does not work - I just cannot hear anything from the headphones connected to my iPhone.

When watching TV/Sky - pressing the Private Listening button does mute the sound from the Roku Streambar itself, but does not transfer the sound to my iPhone headphones - they remain completely silent. Pressing the Private Listening button again, does unmute the audio on the Roku Streambar.

I can adjust the TV volume and turn the TV on/off with the Roku remote.

Would greatly appreciate any of your thoughts/help/ideas to why I cannot use Private Listening from my TV and Sky box?

Many thanks

Regards

JamWales

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamWales
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Streambar - Private Listening does not work with my TV/Sky audio, fine with Roku itself

Jump to solution

Hi,

I've had a reply from Roku support, the problem I have with Private Listening is down to my own misunderstanding on how the Roku Streambar and the Roku Mobile APP work together - so at least I now know the answer/cause.

"Also, private listening is supported on a Roku Smart Soundbar when streaming the Roku content via the Roku soundbar. Private listening is not supported when using external devices with a Roku Smart Soundbar such as a game console, Blu-ray™ player, or cable/satellite set-top box; or when using a Bluetooth® device such as a smartphone or computer."

JamWales

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
JamWales
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Streambar - Private Listening does not work with my TV/Sky audio, fine with Roku itself

Jump to solution

Hi,

I've had a reply from Roku support, the problem I have with Private Listening is down to my own misunderstanding on how the Roku Streambar and the Roku Mobile APP work together - so at least I now know the answer/cause.

"Also, private listening is supported on a Roku Smart Soundbar when streaming the Roku content via the Roku soundbar. Private listening is not supported when using external devices with a Roku Smart Soundbar such as a game console, Blu-ray™ player, or cable/satellite set-top box; or when using a Bluetooth® device such as a smartphone or computer."

JamWales

0 Kudos