Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgt428
Level 7

Roku Soundbar not working with Directv

Roku Soundbar works when watching streaming player like Netflix or the Roku channel.But when I switch inputs for watching Directv, sound only comes from TV speakers not the Soundbar. The Roku Soundbar is connected to tv via optical cable. Please help is there something I am missing or can this not be done? The tv is a older LG Plasma 50PJ350 so it has no HDMI/ARC port just HDMI.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
Crisner
Level 7

Re: Roku Soundbar not working with Directv

Hello, I am in the exact same situation just with a Samsung plasma tv. Have you figured out how to get your Directv sound to come thru your roku sound bar?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

To get audio from devices attached to the tv to go through the soundbar, you have to use ARC input on the tv, if you don't have an ARC input then you need to use a combination of regular hdmi and an optical cable. Don't use the optical if you're using the ARC.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
rgt428
Level 7

No it will not do it. People do not understand that the older plasma tv's do not have a ARC port so we have to use the optical cable. When we do that the only sound will come through the roku bar only when watching something through the player in the soundbar.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

It could a bad cable, optical cables can break, unlike other cables there are glass fibers that crack if bent too far. And or the optical cable isn't seated properly.  Try another cable? 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos