Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robbeck21
Level 7

Roku Soundbar - Controlling TV Power / Turn TV Off

I just got a Roku soundbar. I previously had a Roku player on the same tv and was able to shut the tv off with the Roku remote. The soubdbar does not give me the option to shut off the tv with the Roku soubdbar. Even the option in the Roku settings isn't there to control the tv. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Re: Roku soubdbar and tv power

@Robbeck21  Thanks for the note. Different products feature different functionality and features, depending on what you are using. The Roku Smart Soundbar comes with a a Roku Voice Remote that will allow you to control your TV's power. Follow the steps here to set this functionality up: https://support.roku.com/article/115013019828-how-do-i-set-up-my-roku-enhanced-remote-to-control-my-...

You'll also want to ensure that you have HDMI ARC and CEC enabled on both your TV and the Roku Smart Soundbar for full functionality. See more about this here: https://support.roku.com/article/360034302873-how-do-i-set-up-my-roku-smart-soundbar-with-my-non-rok...

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Adelphia27
Level 7

You did not answer the question.  Why does my soundbar remote not turn off my TV?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Originally when the roku soundbar was released you couldn't enter tv brand, it controlled the tv by hdmi-cec only. So it was wifi signal from the remote to soundbar, then it was cec signal over the hdmi cable to the tv. But it turned out some tv brands couldn't be awaken from standby via cec signal, like it can with be via IR signal. So the upgraded the soundbar software so you can enter a tv brand and control only POWER via IR. Tv volume is still only controlled via cec. The soundbar remote had IR tv built anyways, so you didn't need a new remote. 

So if you have the soundbar connected via hdmi-arc, and have refreshed the cec devices in the tv settings, and still doesn;t power the tv, so into the soundbar settings:

settings> remote & devices> remotes> remote in USE> set up remote for tv control> follow prompts

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos