cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Roku Smart Soundbar removes options when hooked to Roku Smart TV

Jump to solution

We've been using our ROKU smart TV for a few months now.  (TCL CLASS 4-SERIES 4K UHD HDR ROKU SMART TV)  It's been working fine.

However, I just recently ordered the ROKU Smart Soundbar, thinking it would be perfectly compatible with our Roku Smart Tv.  However, after connecting the two (through the ARC HDMI input), and using the new VOICE REMOTE that came with the Sound Bar, I've run into some issues.

Because the Soundbar apparently comes with its own built-in "Smart TV" features, I've had to set up our "Home Screen" again, and sign into all our channels anew.  And that's fine.

Problem 1:  However, what's not fine is that our home screen interface no longer reflects that our TV has two HDMI inputs that we had hooked our Nintendo system and BLU RAY player up to.  In fact, it doesn't seem to be aware of any inputs at all.  (I assume, because the soundbar itself has no inputs.)

Problem 2:  Using the new remote that paired automatically with the soundbar, when I click the ASTERISK for "options," it seems all our previous options are gone.  You know, the ones that helped adjust Picture Brightness, or the ability to fine-tune things like Tint, Zoom, backlight, contrast, etc.

The ONLY options now available now have to do with the soundbar itself.  (Whether you want Voice enhancement or sound leveling.)  That's it.

Is there a way to make the new soundbar "communicate better" with our TV, so that it's aware that we have those HDMI inputs?  And is there a way for us to have all our previous options to adjust the picture available to us again?  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Roku Smart Soundbar removes options when hooked to Roku Smart TV

Jump to solution

Sorry but no, I'm guessing your original Roku tv remote isn't wifi? You could get one, pair it to your tv, and put away the sound bar remote, don't use the sound bar's home page, just use the Roku tv home page, whatever you tune to on the tv, inputs and apps  its sound should still come out the sound bar. You're only seeing the sound bars home page because you're tuned to ARC hdmi input of the tv.

Edmund

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

Sorry but no, I'm guessing your original Roku tv remote isn't wifi? You could get one, pair it to your tv, and put away the sound bar remote, don't use the sound bar's home page, just use the Roku tv home page, whatever you tune to on the tv, inputs and apps  its sound should still come out the sound bar. You're only seeing the sound bars home page because you're tuned to ARC hdmi input of the tv.

Edmund

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response.  I'll give that a shot.  I'll just revert back to my normal setup with the soundbar hooked up and hope the new sound system is still being used.  (I also ordered the Roku wireless subwoofer, by the way.  I hope there won't be an issue with that "communicating" with everything, if I revert back to using the TVs regular interface.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

Once your on the TV Home page, when you get the subwoofer, using the tv remote, go into the settings> remote & devices> pair a new device> speaker

Edmund
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks again for your help.  It's good to know that i can use the subwoofer from my original Smart TV menu, rather than having to "go through" the Roku soundbar.  I'll give it a shot.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Did it work?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

The only reason to use the Sound bar Roku home page if you're using the Sound bar as a streamer, in the case of the OP, he has a Roku tv, so he doesn't need the use of the Sound bar roku home page. So yes, of course it worked.

Edmund
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

It did work.  I was able to revert to my original "home screen" with all the channels and accounts I had already set up on the Roku TV itself.  And the soundbar still works as it's supposed to.  

The only thing remaining that I haven't tried is using the Bluetooth function on the soundbar to play music wirelessly from other devices.  I'm not sure how that would work.  I suspect I might have to open the soundbar "separately" by going into "ARC CHANNEL" on the Roku TV's home screen, then using the soundbar's unique home screen from there.  Though I hope it's not as convoluted as all that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have same problem. Yes, I have WiFi. Got Roku soundbar for my TCL Series 4. Had to reset everything but no options to control inputs at all. I cannot use the TV remote. It’s taken over by soundbar remote. I simply want to play Xbox through my TCL and have soundbar sound. Seems like a catch 22 to me. I can get no help through any kind of ROKU customer support. I guess they haven’t figured out how an employee can take phone calls at home. But they’re able to ship ok. If I can’t resolve this I have to move console to another room and tv I would rather not use. Thanks.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@kfx124 wrote:

I have same problem. Yes, I have WiFi. Got Roku soundbar for my TCL Series 4. Had to reset everything but no options to control inputs at all. I cannot use the TV remote. It’s taken over by soundbar remote. I simply want to play Xbox through my TCL and have soundbar sound. Seems like a catch 22 to me. I can get no help through any kind of ROKU customer support. I guess they haven’t figured out how an employee can take phone calls at home. But they’re able to ship ok. If I can’t resolve this I have to move console to another room and tv I would rather not use. Thanks.

kfx124:

I was able to fix that problem by going back to the TV remote.  I think originally when you hook up the soundbar, the entire "system" assumes that you never owned a smart TV in the first place, and that the soundbar will act as your smart TV with an all new interface, etc.

If you still have a remote that's synced with your original TV, try using that.  I found that when I did that, it took me out of the new (and limited) Roku interface that's installed on the soundbar and back to my original old interface with all the options intact.  From now on, you should always use the old remote that's synced with the TV itself.