cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Smart Soundbar and Bluray Player Compatability

Hello all,

I recently purchased the Roku smart soundbar and we love it.  However, since we hooked it up, I get no audio from the blu-ray player that was hooked up directly to the tv via an HDMI cable.  Is there a way to connect the blu-ray player to the Roku soundbar so we can get audio again?

I have already tried connecting the soundbar to the blu-ray player and then connecting the player to the tv, and connecting the player to the soundbar with HDMI and connecting the soundbar to the TV with both cables offered (HDMI and Optical).

As you may see, I am not tech savvy, so any help you could provide would be great!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Roku Smart Soundbar and Bluray Player Compatability

You need video and audio to go from the soundbar to the tv, along with audio going from the tv to soundbar for devices attached to the tv like your BlueRay player, you do that by using the hdmi-arc, which allows signals going in both directions. If your tv doesn't have hdmi marked arc, you would need to use a combination regular hdmi and the optical cable. Do NOT use both ARC and optical cable.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

So what if the soundbar IS plugged into the HDMI ARC port (using the cable that came with the Roku soundbar) and it still is not producing audio for anything other than the Roku source?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

It is not the ARC port on the Roku Soundbar that's important, since it the only hdmi port on the Roku Soundbar. What's important is the TV port labelled ARC, does it have one?

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Yes. It is connected to the HDMI ARC port on the TV, as instructed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Try going into the tv menu and refresh the hdmi devices connected to it. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks, Tivoburkee. Restarting the Roku soundbar is what worked. Since turning it off and on again has been my goto troubleshooting step for years, I can't believe I didn't think of it earlier.

0 Kudos