cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
gnh65
Level 7

Roku Smart Soundbar Connection problems

How can I connect a Roku Smart Sound bar to a TV that doesn't have HDMI ARC (HDMI DIV only) or an optical audio port?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Smart Soundbar Connection problems

[post moved to appropriate board]

Hi,

Thanks for the inquiry.

The Roku Smart Soundbar will connect via HDMI ARC, but if your TV does not have an ARC port, you will need a HDMI cable and an optical output port.

For more information regarding how to connect the Roku Smart Soundbar to your TV, visit our Support page here: How do I set up my Roku® Smart Soundbar?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
gnh65
Level 7

Thanks for the reply Danny.  As mentioned in my original post, the HDMI ports don't support ARC and the is no optical output port on the TV. Is there any way to use an adapter or extractor to allow the Roku sound bar to work?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@gnh65  We don't officially support that type of setup, but it's an interesting suggestion. You could experiment with that type of setup and let us know how it goes. 

When using the Roku Smart Soundbar's built in streaming player, you wouldn't need HDMI ARC in that scenario, only an HDMI connection to a supported TV to display the content on screen. Audio would be provided directly from the soundbar. If you were trying to pass any other audio to the soundbar from the TV or connected device, Danny's previous statement would stand. 

Thanks again for reaching out!

Cheers,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
egutentag
Level 7

I just bought the smart sound bar, and I have what appears to be the same issue, no HDMI ARC and no optical output, so let me make sure I understand correctly, because this seems to contradict the instructions: When I connect the sound bar via HDMI it detects the right display, and it shows a green tick box above the icon for HDMI (ARC), but a red X above the icon for HDMI. So what you're saying is that as long as I'm feeding video and audio only through the sound bar I'm ok, I should ignore that red X and proceed to register the sound bar?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@egutentag The previous scenario was referring to playback of streaming channel content on the Roku Smart Soundbar itself. The Soundbar will play audio directly from its built-in streaming player channels, while connected to a TV via HDMI for video. 

You will need either an HDMI ARC connection, or an optical audio output from your TV in order to play audio from your TV (or other sources connected to your TV) through the Roku Smart Soundbar. 

Hope that helps clarify! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
VegaTron
Level 7

My TV does NOT support HDMI ARC nor Optical. I was looking for an adapter of some sort to help but I cannot find the right one. In all honesty, I think you guys should of consider a solution for people with a TV that don’t support either before selling the product. The only fault I am in is for not checking my TV before purchase. But still please make a work around (As I find an adapter which is unlikely). 

0 Kudos