Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RubyJules
Level 8

Roku Smart Soundbar - Channel Exits to Home Screen During Playback

My TV is a 12 year old Bravia. I have the ROKU soundbar connected via HDMI cable.  It works fine most of the time but a few times a week it will just drop the connection right in the middle of watching a show and goes back to the home screen.  Very frustrating.  Want to eventually buy a new TV but why do I need a SMART TV when I have a soundbar with ROKU built in?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Re: Roku Smart Soundbar - Channel Exits to Home Screen During Playback

@RubyJules  Thanks for reaching out! Are you seeing any error message on screen when this behavior occurs? There are a few things you can do to troubleshoot the issue you described. 

If you are seeing a channel exit back to the home screen while streaming, try the following steps: 

1. Remove the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key and choosing 'Remove channel'. 

2. Restart your Roku Smart Soundbar form Settings>System>System restart 

3. Once your Soundbar starts up again fully, go to 'Streaming channels' and try adding the channel back once more. Then, try streaming again. 

If you are still experiencing the same issue from there, please reply to let us know what specific streaming channel you were watching when the issue occurred, and generate an issue tracker report ID. 

To generate an issue tracker report ID: Press the Home button on your remote 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times. Please include this report ID with your response. 

Keep us posted! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
RubyJules
Level 8

Thanks Tanner, but it is the Roku Channel (watching season 6 of Major Crimes).  I also keep getting a message with a yellow triangle at the bottom of the screen but it does not always boot me out of the channel. Something about switching to the TV speakers but it doesn't and the sound does still keep coming from the soundbar. I have unplugged, let sit and replugged the power and HDMI cable back in but it does not stop this problem.

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Level 19

@RubyJules  Thanks for the extra detail. Please generate an issue tracker report ID the next time you experience the playback issue with the channel. 

As far as the message you noted seeing related to audio, this could possibly be a setup issue or a loose cable. Have you tried replacing the HDMI cable in use? Is your Soundbar connected to a Roku TV, or a non-Roku TV? Is there any chance you could take a picture of that message the next time it appears on screen? 

We can continue assisting you from there with more information. 

Thanks! 

Tanner

0 Kudos