Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sksR
Level 9

Re: Roku Sent Update & Things Changed. Is There Any Way To Go Back To "Normal"?

Even more strangeness.

If you set up the TV with a wireless connection but do not have a wireless connection, antenna TV is not available and quick guide/ quick switch channels is also not available (just hangs with the loading message).

If you set up the TV with a wired connection but don't plug it in, antenna TV is available and the quick guide/quick channel change still does not work.

I guess if you don't have internet it's better not to have wired internet than not to have wireless!...?

etp2
Level 7

Since the update, which I downloaded on 1-13-2021, none of the channels stay on. Roku live, CBS all access, Disney+, Roku live tv, come on then in 30 seconds or less go back to the home screen.

Is there a way to get rid of the update and allow me to watch the tv again?

ETP2.........Help

sksR
Level 9

Giving all the complaints it would be nice if Roku could roll back to the 9.2 version.

PGB1
Level 9

Is there a way to get rid of the update and allow me to watch the tv again?

ETP2.........Help

Sadly, ETP2, there is not a way to go back to a previous update. I even asked Roku Techni-Joke Support. (The people who read to you from the manual in response to a question. Once the guy put me on hold, came back & was explaining how to set up X-Box One. Oops!)

I tired to do a Factory Reset. Life was good until the next day. Roku pushed the update right back in.

Forcing updates must be a marketing thing.

Visitor45763
Level 14

@etp2 spoketh into the Roku vacuum: "Is there a way to get rid of the update and allow me to watch the tv again?"

I think the solution is to spend a few dollars on an external streaming device. Do a factory reset of the tv, but tell it you don't have internet. That will put you back to an unburdened version of the software. (Never connect the tv to the network.). Stream through an HDMI port. Keep your options open that way. Your tv will be protected from future untested Roku updates. Your inexpensive streaming device will be easily upgradable without having to replace the entire tv. 

I've seen others say that's been their solution to other problems. Roku doesn't seem to care. They treat bug reports like suggestions (passed along, never heard of again). They don't view it as a problem. They never confirm problems. Never give updates to expected fixes. Look back through this forum. People have been reporting a variety of problems arising from the untested update Roku pushed to you just a couple weeks ago. Think about that for a moment. People have been affected for 6 months. Roku keeps affecting more people without concern.

I've got a $22 Firestick Lite coming. Also a URC-7935 to control it & the tv with one remote. (The URC-7880 remote has a number keypad which would be handy if using an external DTV tuner. But, Roku's internal tuner isn't too bad when reset back to non-internet factory default.).

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
sksR
Level 9

Unfortunately a factory reset does not restore the software that came with your TV. Once you update the software to 9.4 you're stuck with it. Factory reset remove all the settings but does not change the actual code that runs the TV.

You can tell this because the way the firmware works with 9.4 is different from the way 9.2 worked. It's most noticeable with the on-screen guide / quick channel changer. 9.4 without activation just shows the channels. 9.2 made an attempt to show the off air description of the current program. Other features do not work including privacy mode that allowed both the speakers and the headphones to work at the same time. 

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Level 14

@sksR wrote: Factory reset remove all the settings but does not change the actual code that runs the TV.

That's not been my experience. When I factory reset (and told the initial setup I don't have an internet connection) I ended up with a very different software experience. Antenna TV has favorites (again), the channels change faster (again), and holding the remote button down results in continuous channel changing (again). Also, the "captions on mute" works again (captions don't remain on when unmuted. That was a bug which started last summer.).

I would encourage @etp2 to try it! If it's a better experience, then stream through an inexpensive external device (and not have all your eggs in one basket.). If using two remotes is a burden, use a URC-7935 programmable & learning remote to control the tv & external device. (I haven't done this yet. My remote and Firestick are in the mail. But, so far it looks like a better solution than Roku's untested updates. Versus buying an entirely new tv.).

It's just an option. Not perfect by any means. But, considering Roku's disregard for customers, it's probably the only option. (There are problems that have existed for YEARS. Our problem reports to Roku on this forum are treated as suggestions. So, why stay in a relationship with someone who doesn't respect you? Plug-n-play simplicity looks very nice right now. Bundled, hostage to "all or nothing" is obviously a risk.).

If the disconnected factory-reset makes the tv more useable, just think if it like the unwanted adware/bloatware that comes on a new computer. The first thing most people do after buying a laptop is reinstall the OS without all the garbage. I feel like that's solution with Roku TV. Disconnect from the predator. Go plain vanilla tv (dumb vs "smart"), and use $20-$30 USD devices for the smart stuff. Easy to upgrade when a new device is around. Bonus points: the tv is protected from Roku's next untested update. 

IMO: if no-network factory reset leaves you with some remnants of the latest untested update (which might make the factory reset less useful, as you've experienced): all the more reason to do it sooner rather than later! 🙂 Why wait for the next bomb to hit? Cut the cord with Roku and save your TV. What you say sounds like a person could wait too long, and not have that option available to them.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos