Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MeandJaime
Reel Rookie

Roku Plus TV video display issues

Jump to solution

We got a Roku 55" Plus a week ago and it is, at times, unwatchable. The brightness will change a few frames after every edit point in a show or film, or some area of the picture suddenly changes three or four times in rapped succession. It seems to be mostly on Dolby Vision programming. (Which... basically everything good.)

Alas, it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue. The TV was only released a month ago here but I figured I'd see tons of people complaining, because... it's unwatchable, but no. 

Also I can't recreate the problem. I can't get it to stop when it happens despite trying ALL the different settings, but I also can't get it to start, so... I'm lost.

I've literally had the issue and then gone to watch the same program on different tv's or with a set top box on the same tv (as in, using the connected AppleTV vs the app that lives on the Roku tv) to make sure I'm not crazy. Then gone back to the same point in the same show on the Roku from the native app and the issue is NOT happening... At which point I'm like... "OK! DONT. TOUCH. ANYTHING." But eventually watching another show on another platform... brightness starts wandering up and down again. Square 1. Halp! TIA

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Plus TV video display issues

Jump to solution

Greetings @MeandJaime 

Welcome to the Roku Community and thanks for posting regarding the video display issue on your new Roku Plus TV. I can completely understand how frustrating it can be to get a brand new TV and not be able to watch and enjoy TV watching time.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but we will need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:

• software OS/version (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 
  • video of the issue occurring so we can better understand what you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Greetings @MeandJaime 

Welcome to the Roku Community and thanks for posting regarding the video display issue on your new Roku Plus TV. I can completely understand how frustrating it can be to get a brand new TV and not be able to watch and enjoy TV watching time.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but we will need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:

• software OS/version (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 
  • video of the issue occurring so we can better understand what you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
MeandJaime
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you Danny R. The TV makes me quite happy now.  I'm going to chalk the strobing issue up to unstable versions of the apps mostly using Dolby vision.  Glad to report that issue is all but gone.  I tried the method you suggested with pressing the two buttons 5 times to get an error code that I could send to you but since the major problem has cleared up I found the process just too much to stop watching tv with the fam and say "hang on I have to do this button combo and write down a long number and send it to Roku, then we can get back into the app and the show we were watching with dinner."

but by and large the issue is gone, and I just wanted to say thanks and that the TV is definitely great for the price and my buyers remorse is gone.  There's still some minor dimming issues when a scene cuts back and forth between a dark shot and a bright shot, and there noticeable light leaks in some areas around the edges, but seriously, for the price its a great tv with a great os. @RokuDanny-R 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @MeandJaime,

Thanks for the update and we appreciate your feedback as our valued customer.

Please let us know if there are other related issues that we can further take a look at.

Thanks for using our services. Happy Streaming!

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos