Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
surfboy
Reel Rookie

Re: Recent Roku Update Broke CEC/ARC Functionality

I am pleased to have found this thread. I have a Roku 55R635 2021 TV and a TCL Alto 6+ sound bar connected via e-arc.

Ever since the 5/2021 update the connection between the TV and the soundbar has not worked properly.

Normally when u adjust volume up and down using the supplied Roku remote the soundbar volume will change. Since the update the connection has been intermittent and sometimes the TV internal volume is adjusted and sometimes the soundbar volume is adjusted. This is particularly noticeable when you mute the sound and you find the soundbar mutes and the TV internal volume remains turned on.

It appears that there is a lag in the e arc connection resulting in this problem.

This problem did not occur prior to the update.

I have since connected my soundbar with the optical connection with the internal TV speakers turned off.

This works well but now I cannot use the TV remote to control volume on both Roku/TCL devices which is not a good long term situation.

0 Kudos

I have the same issue. I have tried reset to factory settings.

Can you please provide the following information so we can investigate the issue further:

Roku Device Model - A113X
Model - TCL 55R635
Roku Serial number - X00301WHT2
TCL Serial number - 2008GTC008491A00678
device ID - SO5EY08HWT2
ROKU Software 3.0 version 1.44.199562

Sound Board
Model - TCL Alto 9+ 3.1
Serial number - TRS20340120008
Firmware 3.0 version 1.44.199562

Issue Roku Update Broke CEC/ARC
- Can not use TV Remote for mute or volume
- Soundboard LCD indicates ARC connected to soundboard
- Subwoffer loses paring

Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

- Intermitant but almost everytime I turn on the TV
- Power cycling TV and soundboard connects ARC but does not stay connected.
- Factory Reset of TV and soundboard - After a few days the issue returns

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team.

Please confirm
Is this is a known issue? From the forum, this should be obvious
Is there a solution?
Is there a workaround?
When can we expect a firmware update?
How and where will you respond?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Sundanceweb7

Thanks for the information.

I have passed along the details you have provided to the appropriate Roku team to investigate the issue further. Once an update is available, I'll be sure to notify the Community.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CJ123456
Reel Rookie

The Rokus that are built into televisions are usually terrible. They are slow and glitchy. We have 3 Roku TVs and use external Rokus on all of them because of it. To be fair two of them are several years old. One of them is a brand new 55" (I think TCL brand) LCD television and we find using an external Roku still works better. I'd recommend the streaming stick+ or the express 4k+. Roku has been giving deals for the express 4k+ for $25 (1 per account). The express 4k+ has a chip as fast as the ss+ and has just as much memory (Not as good of wireless network though). It also has an RF remote and does HDMI CEC functions. I'd try getting Roku to send you the Express 4k+ for free or at least the discounted price of $25. I bet using an external Roku would fix your issues and highly suggest trying it out. 

0 Kudos
Rjsvod
Channel Surfer

I agree and have the same problems as everyone else. It's been going on for months. 

TCL Roku TV: 43S435

Software Version: 10.5.0 build 4210-93

TCL Alto 6+ Soundbar

0 Kudos
surfboy
Reel Rookie

Update on this Issue:

After posting my issue with CEC/ARC functionality I called Roku support in December 2021 after I noticed there had been yet another software update.

Support walked me through a total factory reset of the TV unit which required that I re-input all my settings. Process took about an hour from end to end but it was worth it.

The reset fixed my issue and I am now able to control volume on my soundbar from my Roku TV controls.

(see my earlier post in this thread for additional details)

0 Kudos