Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tol82go24

Really like the addition of live streaming channels, But.....

The new added live stream channels are nice but there needs to be a way to remove unwanted channels. Since there is no way to skip to a certain channel (no number pad on the remote) you have to scroll all the way through all the channels just to get to the one you want. Or better yet maybe a way to set you preferences and the appropriate channels will be added. Anyways I found in settings where to remove them completely but is still a nice addition but just needs some extra features to make it useful.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Re: Really like the addition of live streaming channels, But.....

@tol82go24 wrote: you have to scroll all the way through all the channels just to get to the one you want.

There's been a lot of complaints about that. Not just the inability to hide individual streaming channels, but also the removal (at the same time as adding 1000+ channels) of the "Favorites" feature (which was a reasonable way to jump around a reduced set of channels). And, the removal (at the same time as adding 1000+ channels) of continuous channel changing. Now you have to press the up/down button once per channel (1000+ times). And, all this this was done (at the same time) after years of Roku ignoring widespread customer request for a numeric remote.

Every indication is that Roku's listening as much to customers about this "all at once" change much the same way they listed to the numeric-remote request.

There is a way to work around this. Left-arrow to the guide. The up/down arrows work continuously there. And, faster too. Also the << & >> keys scroll the guide by page (continuously). That's a fairly fast way to get through the wall of channels that you can't reduce to just the ones you want.

Someone theorized that these are Pluto channels, and Pluto's carriage contract may prohibit a carrier from hiding any. I'm using a Firestick Lite ($22) to protect my tv from Roku's untested software updates. (Factory reset my tv, didn't setup internet. The antenna tv is back to normal now. Continuous channel changing works. Favorites are there. Audio leveling is back. Captions on Mute works again. Now I stream through HDMI). I brought up Pluto on my Firestick. Guess what? It has favorites. It has the ability to hide individual Pluto channels. 

IMO, Roku wants everyone to step one channel at a time through unwanted streaming channels because they get some kind of revenue sharing. They probably have some analytics that doing this will generate billions of dollars from the cheapskate antenna-tv viewers (we're called fleas). They just want us to touch a revenue-sharing channel. We owe it to Roku.

I'm liking my factory-reset, no internet setup, more-functional antenna tv and plug-n-play streaming option.

#Walkaway

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos