Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krobinso
Channel Surfer

Re: How to fix screen mirroring not working with my Roku device

Jump to solution

Does ANYONE find it utterly ridiculous that we've all purchased ROKU TV's and can't get an answer to this problem from ROKU????

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: How to fix screen mirroring not working with my Roku device

Jump to solution

Again, "casting" and "mirroring" (aka "screen sharing") are not the same thing - casting is not mirroring, mirroring is not casting.

On Roku devices, "casting" is DIAL protocol-based and only works with DIAL-enabled apps (e.g. YouTube, NetFlix) via the "cast" icon. 

Mirroring (screen sharing) on Roku devices is Miracast-based, and is accomplished using the "mirroring" or "screen sharing" functionality of the device (e.g. "SmartView" on Samsung devices, "Wireless Display" on more generic devices, etc).

Its not clear whether you are referring to casting or mirroring - if mirroring, try switching the Roku to a 5Ghz SSID or wired if available, and try mirroring from the device again (and follow the settings outlined above).

0 Kudos
darinkb
Reel Rookie

Re: Screen Mirroring

Jump to solution

None of these steps work for me. Starts to connect then says can't find device, even though it's listed. Problem started happening after neighbors night 2 devices. But they're on a different network and I have my Roku premiere on prompt. And please, don't go over the same steps again. Just a fresh suggestion would be great. Again, I have done steps for the wi fi reset and Roku prompt method. It always worked great before about 3 weeks ago. Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@darinkb wrote:

None of these steps work for me. Starts to connect then says can't find device, even though it's listed. Problem started happening after neighbors night 2 devices. But they're on a different network and I have my Roku premiere on prompt. And please, don't go over the same steps again. Just a fresh suggestion would be great. Again, I have done steps for the wi fi reset and Roku prompt method. It always worked great before about 3 weeks ago. Thanks in advance. 

What is your phone/tablet/device's brand/model#/android etc version?

What model Roku do you have?

0 Kudos
Raz78

Jump to solution

I have a Samsung GS20 5G trying to connect smart view to roku 3 460 and failing every time. I tried like 10 times. What am I doing wrong? I never get past step 3 of instructions on your website.  

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Raz78 wrote:

I have a Samsung GS20 5G trying to connect smart view to roku 3 460 and failing every time. I tried like 10 times. What am I doing wrong? I never get past step 3 of instructions on your website.  

There is no Roku 3 model "460" - just 4200 and 4230

That being said, if you've otherwise configured your Roku as I outlined above, then:

1) Try connecting the Roku via wired or to a 5Ghz SSID - there is a known RokuOS bug (in recent builds of 9.3.0) when Roku streamers are connecting to 2.4Ghz SSIDs that prevent Miracast (and other) connections with more recent Android/OneUI/SmartView device (phone/tablet/etc) versions (older Android/OneUI/SmartView versions work fine however).

2)  If your wireless gateway/router/modem/device doesnt have separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs, configure it so it does (so that you have more control and allowing you the above recommended configuration).

3)  If your wireless gateway/router/modem/device only has 2.4Ghz frequency range, consider upgrading/replacing it with a dual-band (both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) one (soon triple band will become available).

4) Report the Miracasting issue to both Roku and Samsung.

https://support.roku.com/contactus

0 Kudos

Re: Screen mirroring not working

Jump to solution

My 4K and stick do not respond to screen mirroring. Played around with all settings, and reset everything with no luck. I found an easy solution...There is an app for that.(several) Haven't paid the 2 or 3 dollar fee to go addless, but will based on price and performance. Will let you know which one is the best. Good luck!

John

greatearthtustin@yahoo.com  

0 Kudos

Re: Window 7 Freezing on Startup

Jump to solution

My 4K and stick do not respond to screen mirroring. Played around with all settings, and reset everything with no luck. I found an easy solution...There is an app for that.(several) Haven't paid the 2 or 3 dollar fee to go without adds, but will based on price and performance. Will let you know which one is the best. Good luck!

John

greatearthtustin@yahoo.com  

0 Kudos
EdTeach

Jump to solution

Hi - I too have the 55" Roku / Sharp TV - 

Up until about a week ago I had no trouble at mirroring from my Samsung S8+ phone.

After an hour on the phone with Sharp support and their trouble shooting - the TV is no longer even recognizing/finding the device.

Tried with another TV in another room and it works fine still.

Any thought ?

0 Kudos
benmadly777
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Issue: no longer able to mirror windows 10 to my 55inch tcl. It worked before and now the progress bar at the bottom gets stuck in limbo and never completes.

Lets face it, this issue can drive one mad as we spend countless hours trying to trouble shoot and eliminate possible issues.

First let me list what the issue was not to help others.

It was not:

1) a recent Roku tcl software update nor build version

2) a windows KB update or install

3) a new windows 10 build version

My windows 10 laptop crashed and bkue screened, and so I downloaded a the newest version onto a USB drive 16gb date 11/6/2020 from Microsoft.com using the USB creation tool.

After successfully installing windows 10 home onto my laptop, below are the following things to check for and do, that resolved my issue. I myself am in IT Networking, and I spent about two months trying to resolve this. Frustrating indeed!

Date: Nov 6 2020 win10 home version 20h2 64 bit
TCL roku model 55 inch tv 55s421 roku c125x

**also upon doing a fresh install.of windows 10, I always skip the step innthe beginning of setting up windows ..SKIP setting up WIFI network, and choose do this later. Then I go into all the settings and customize them, like HOME SETTINS WINDOWS UPDATES AND PAUSE THEM.

so the following guide had the bare minimum of KBs installed.

Previously, when mirroring worked- the process was I would

#1 ensure both the laptop is connected to the network and the roku tv is connected to the same network
#2 on the laptop click on settings
#3 click on display
#4 scroll down and click on 'connect to wireless display'
#5 a few seconds later the TCL would show up on the menu on the right hand side,
#6 if necessary on the roku tv appears 'always allow, allow, or deny'
#7 or it bypasses this step if you already selected always allow
#8 the roku tv displays a purple bar across the bottom of the screen that loads from left to right while the laptop displays a message 'connecting'
#9 after about 10 seconds to 15 seconds, it successfully connects and both the laptop screen is on, and its also displaying on the roku

Now, after installing windows 10 home again because my windows OS crashed, the steps below are what I had to do or check to solve the issue

#1 after windows installs, there is no wireless display apapter.
#2 click on settings
#3 enter 'add optional feature'
#4 wireless display, install it
#5 if it is not installed when you click on display you will not see the option to connect to a wireless display
#6 after installing it, when i clicked on wireless display it would connect to the roku, i would press always allow, and then it would show the black status bar at the top showing 'connected' , however on the roku the progress bar would get stuck.
#7 also, the status bar at the top looked different than before, it had additional options like 'watching video, game, etc' and on the right menu is showed 'projection option'
#8 this is NOT how it should appear, and I could not figure out how to resolve this.

Things I already had checked and verified previously by going into device manager below:

1) miracast driver was up to date
2) bluetooth adapters, i had like five of them, and all were updated
3) monitors - general PnP monitor driver was up to date

I wasted alot of time, believing it was a combination of too many bluetooth drivers, and network adapters. I have like 8 WAN miniports, 1 realtek wireless lan 802.11n, 1 microsoft wi fi direct virtual, 1 bluetooth device personal area network, it was none of these.

Here are the basic steps to verify:

1) go to settings, devices, bluetooth, make sure it is on
2)if the tcl roku device is listed under wireless devices, click on it and confirm you would like to remove it.
3) go to settings, system, then click on 'shared experiences', turn on 'nearby sharing' everyone nearby, and turn on 'share across devices' my devices only
4) go to multi tasking and turn it on, and make sure all three selection are selected
5) this may not make a difference, but i am unsure, merely giving you an exact duplication of what i did
6) under projection, selection is available every where
7) **important** go to settings, privacy, scroll down toward the bottom, click on 'other devices' and turn on beacons. 😎 now go to device manager, click at view at the top and select 'show hidden devices'
9) click on 'monitors' and you may see many listed, one may be blue and others not blue, it doesnt matter, right click on each one and select uninstall until none are left remaining.
10) click on miracast display devices, and do the same thing, right click and select uninstall each item that is listed
11) if you fail to click on 'view' at the top menu of device manager and select 'show hidden devices' you will not see miracast or the entire list of previously installed generic pnp monitors which all need to be removed
12) after removing all of them under miracast display, and generic pnp monitors, go settings and open the control panel
13) we are going to add a device the good ole fashion way, i have had more success this way
14) once you get the control panel open, please ensure on the top right under view- select - CATEGORY
15)click on the word 'hardwre and sound', and click on 'add a device' under DEVICE AND PRINTERS at the top
16) the laptop will begin to search for nearby devices, and you may see the TCL ROKU listed more than once, it will be listed as a TCL ROKU TV, also as a 'entertainment device', maybe you'll see ur desktop, select TCL ROKU (television)
17) once you do this, and click next, you should see a message that asks you to wait a moment while windows adds the necessary components needed.
18) after this is done, if it auto try to connect you i cannot remember, however if it does not. Go to settings, display, click on connect to wireless display adapter, click on TCL ROKU, and this should solve your issue. If it still gets stuck at the bottom, you missed an option, or step, and trust me, it is easy to do.

May this guide make you mirroring dreams come true. Oh and one more thing, for IT tech like myself, who suddenly forget the most basic options... mirroring is an added convienence which is nice because it is wireless.. do NOT forget if you have an HDMI port on your laptop, all you have to do is connnect an hdmi cable from the laptop to an HDMI port on the TCL ROKU and this is also a way to mirror, just buy at 12 or 16ft cord and forget about all the hours of troubleshooting. But there is nothing like RESOLVING the issue. Amen, and God bless.

*Final tip* if you attempt to mirror and the process gets hung on the TCL ROKU and the progress bar never completes, it is NOT THE TCL ROKU.

It is imperative to clear out all the dulpicate devices under the categories listed. Every one of them. And once all the items are uninstalled/deleted/ then when 'adding a device' through the control panel and upon selecting TCL 55 TV and clicking next, the process im windows commences as if it were a clean install and it grabs the necessary components and installs them and leads you to success.

Tags (1)