Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MShaelo
Channel Surfer

ROKU TV's all crashing in the evenings

Every single day for the past two months my Roku TV'S crash between 6:30pm and 8pm CST.  This effects every channel and every ROKU TV in my house.  The internet says I have excellent signal but ROKU will not let me connect to the internet.  All my other devices that run on the internet work.  For the rest of the evening the ROKU devices will cycle off and on. I can watch for a while and then I will get booted off again.  I've tried turning the device off and back on. I've tried logging back into the internet.  Nothing works.

I have bragged about ROKU for years but I'm not bragging now.  Please explain how to fix this problem.  

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Re: ROKU TV's all crashing in the evenings

Roku does not make TVs. Companies like TCL, Sharp and Hisense. Or are you using a Roku device plugged into three different TVs? I find it extremely hard to believe that all three devices go down. I have 2 TCL Roku TV’s. Both connected to 5.0 GHz with no issues. There’s no such thing as a TV going down for a certain amount of time it’s something to do with your modem. Are you using a modem from your ISP? The problem isn’t the Roku. It’s something in your setup, Such as a weak WiFi signal. Do you have full control of your modem can you go into the settings? If it’s happening during a certain time which it is then something is pulling down your network. The times you listed are the highest time for the most traffic. Do you live in a home? Or are you in in an area that shares the Internet bandwidth? You need to run a speed check connection check when the problem occurs. The only thing causing your TV's to go down during a 3 hour windows is internet traffic pulling down your network. You can use something like SolarWinds to find out. Your ISP may need to split the NOD in your area. Too much traffic during peak hours. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@MShaelo wrote:

... ROKU will not let me connect to the internet. ...

Go to Settings > Network > Check connection

What results do you get?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Tim_Hare
Streaming Star

What do you have for networking?  I assume your Roku is connecting wirelessly to your local network.  Do you have high speed internet supplied by the cable company, the phone company, or something else?

Some cable companies allow parents to set controls to turn networking off for certain time periods, or to turn it off via an app on the phone,  so that the family isn't all scrolling their phone during dinner.  Is it possible someone has done this on your network?

0 Kudos
MShaelo
Channel Surfer

They are Sanyo Roku TV's not sticks.  Yes they do all lose internet connection together.  I spoke with a Roku technician last night and he said there was an upgrade to the Roku system recently which is causing my issue.  I need to call my internet company and have them upgrade the modem to correct the compatability issue.  Thank you for responding

0 Kudos
MShaelo
Channel Surfer

Thank you for responding.  I spoke to a Roku technician last night and found the problem is caused from a recent Roku system upgrade.  Apparently my internet modem needs to be upgraded as well.  I will be contacting my internet company to do that today.  

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@MShaelo wrote:

They are Sanyo Roku TV's not sticks.  Yes they do all lose internet connection together.  I spoke with a Roku technician last night and he said there was an upgrade to the Roku system recently which is causing my issue.  I need to call my internet company and have them upgrade the modem to correct the compatability issue.  Thank you for responding

@RokuDanny-R @RokuMary-F @RokuKariza-D 

Can any of you offer any insight about this? This seems like a strange suggestion, so there's got to be more to the story. And if not, if this is all there is to it, you need to be aware of what users are being told.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
MShaelo
Channel Surfer

Thank you for responding.  I do have a cable company.  I spoke to a Roku technician yesterday and the problem was caused when Roku upgraded their system.  I will be contacting my internet provider to have them upgrade my modem which is supposed to fix the problem.  I never considered the parental controls but I will check that out.  Thank you again.

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

You spoke with a Roku technician? Interesting considering there are no such techs. Roku does not make TV's by the way so your issue is with Sanyo. I have 2 TCL Roku TV's. My Roku OS is completely up to date. 10.5 xxxxx. Both of my TV's are dual band so I can use either 2.4 or 5.0. I have Cox internet with zero issues. How fast is your internet? Did you try both 2.4 and 5.0? This is getting very interesting. I think I will get some popcorn and watch the show. 

0 Kudos
MShaelo
Channel Surfer

This is the exact response I received.  I hope it helps explain it better than I did.  

01:35:09 AM) Rabi: You need to update the firmware of the router. Recently, there was an update on the Roku that works with the latest configuration that is nowadays available on the router, but your router might not be fully updated, so I request that you contact your internet service provider and update the firmware. Also with the help of the Internet service provider please change the wireless mode to B/G/N and wireless channel to 6 and this would resolve the issue, you would be able to connect back using your router.

0 Kudos