Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: ROKU TV Suddenly won't connect to Internet - no problem before now

Jump to solution

@Moser5 You are not providing enough information. Is this a Roku TV or player? If a player, what model number (not the name)? Are you seeing your WiFi, or does it not appear in the list? Does any WiFi appear in the list?

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Night4Day

Jump to solution

Potential Solution - I have three TCL ROKU TVs and simultaneously they were all suddenly unable to connect or even find my wifi network.  One TV literally stopped working while I was watching.  Every other device in the house was still able to connect to the Wifi with no problems.  So I (incorrectly) assumed the problem with with the TVs, perhaps a problematic system update.

I went through all of the solutions posted here and else where and nothing worked, including factory reset.

My Wifi router was an Apple AirPort which had a few years on it but still worked fine, even did a firmware upgrade.  I hooked up a new router (not Apple) and all of the ROKUs TVs connected to the Wifi with no problem.

So..... if your TV isn't connecting and everything else is still connects without problem - there might actually be an issue with the router.

#TCL

0 Kudos
mrfreedomx

Jump to solution

This is a such a joke that all these Rokus are having the same problem and our only recourse is to come on here and hope someone has an answer. Half the time I don’t even understand all the terminology being thrown around, and I shouldn’t have to become a Geek Squad employee to figure this **bleep** out. 
My Roku tv suddenly stopped connecting to my home WiFi last week and I’ve tried all the restarts and reboots and resets, and to no avail.
Luckily my router is right next to where my TV is mounted, so I just gave up on the wireless and hooked up an Ethernet cable and it’s been working ever since.

But this is pathetic and I’m never buying another Roku anything ever again. 

0 Kudos
kmrsy
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Mrfreedom,

I really don't think it's the fault of the Roku. I believe it's the internet provider.  I'm not good at tech talk either, but your router provides the signal for the Roku to connect to. Mine worked fine for a year, then suddenly knocked out for 3 weeks, time enough for my provider to furnish me with their OWN streaming box to "fix" the problem. Then, on a whim about a week later, I tried the Roku and it's working fine.

The Roku has to be designed to work with any equipment that emits the signal it can connect to. And WHO controls that signal?  The providers. Of course they won't admit to any funny business, but that's where I think the problem lies.

0 Kudos
caitmarsh

Jump to solution

I’ve been having the same issue where my Roku Express suddenly wouldn’t connect to my Xfinity Wi-Fi. I tried resetting the Roku, resetting my router, unplugging everything, changing WiFi password, etc. and eventually gave up and started using the Xfinity Flex streaming device. Welp YouTube TV doesn’t always work on the Flex so I just tried the Roku again, still wouldn’t connect until…. I checked my Xfinity “security mode” and it was set to “WPA2”. I changed it to “Open” and connected my Roku, and it connected no problem. Then I changed the setting to “WPA/WPA2” and connected to Roku with my password and it worked. Not sure which step fixed it. The setting was on my Xfinity app under Connect > 2 WiFi networks > edit icon on the top right. 

0 Kudos
kmrsy
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Cait,

That's good to know and I think you may have helped a bunch of people. I wouldn't be able to use it because I can't access the Xfinity app, but I'm sure most other Xfinity customers could.  I use the Xfinity Flex box for the most part now, but since the Roku is back to working fine on its own, I'm keeping it as a backup.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

My roku tv doesn't want to connect with the wifi what do I do to fix it??

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Need_help2029, we need more information.  Are you getting any error message/code?  Are you trying to connect to 2.4GHz or 5GHz?  What Wi-Fi channel(s) does your router use?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Geezer260

Jump to solution

I have the same issue this morning. Restarted router, tv, reset network. Tv just won’t connect. Roku state’s connection strength is excellent. I’ve done everything short of wiping the stick. Everything else on the network is working fine including 2 additional Roku TV’s. I’m thinking the stick has or is going bad. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Geezer260,

Thanks for reaching into the Roku Community and for letting us know all that you've done.

A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

1. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
  2. What Roku model device are you using?
  3. Are you receiving error messages or codes when trying to connect your internet connection?
  4. What is your internet service provider? If your internet service provider is Comcast or ATT, we would recommend changing your router settings for the 2.4 GHz band from g/n to b/g/n, as customers have stated that this helped resolve their issue.

Please let us know and we'll continue assisting you from there!

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos