Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
airvan
Reel Rookie

ROKU TV Suddenly won't connect to Internet - no problem before now

Jump to solution

I’ve had the same problem. Started December 9.  Roku support us by e-mail and they won’t address the issue. Roku stops connecting to the internet. I’ve tried every reboot on every device. Was intermittent. 

even tried buying a new device. It didn’t work at all. 

temporary improvement by switching from 5ghz to 2.4 ghz

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: ROKU TV Suddenly won't connect to Internet - no problem before now

Jump to solution

@airvan

Thanks for the post.

It looks like you are already in contact with our Support team. We would recommend continuing to work with them to try to resolve the issue you are experiencing as they would best be able to assist you moving forward.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Cattijo

Jump to solution

Thank you!!! This totally resolved my connection problems!! 

• Restart your router (yeah, I know everything else connects okay, try it anyway).
  • When router comes back up, restart your Roku, Settings > System > Restart system
    (or for a Roku TV, it's Settings > System > Power > Restart system).
  • When Roku comes back up, Settings > Network > Set up connection.
0 Kudos
junkmail
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Same problem. Worked for 2 years untill today. I did all the rebooting etc. I can only imagine the latest Roku update caused the issue. Apparently I need to throw this thing in the garbage and try firestick or something else. I have read 100 people in this thread haven't found a solution. My time is valuable. Goodby Roku.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey @junkmail

We're here to help!

Please provide us with the following information for further investigation:

-Roku device model
-Serial number
-Device ID
-Software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
junkmail
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Wow! Thanks for your cheerful and rapid response. I called my neighbor and he has having sketchy internet problems right now. We are all on the same ISP. I will wait till the current storm subsides and give my ISP sometime to see if there is an issue. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
mmortal03
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@junkmail wrote:

Wow! Thanks for your cheerful and rapid response. I called my neighbor and he has having sketchy internet problems right now. We are all on the same ISP. I will wait till the current storm subsides and give my ISP sometime to see if there is an issue. Thanks again.

One thing you can do to try to rule out anything wrong with the Roku hardware is to temporarily set up your phone as a mobile WiFi hotspot and then see if the Roku will connect to the hotspot and pull up an channel. Obviously, don't do any streaming, as it will be using your phone data, but this can at least prove that the Roku hardware hasn't gone bad, and point to some sort of issue between the Roku and your router.

0 Kudos
junkmail
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks for your great suggestion. I have terrible cell phone reception where I am at. My new Pixel 6 just barely gets a connection. My daughter's iPhone has no bars. So the hotspot thingy probably will not work for me.

After multiple conversations with my ISP, they send out a technician to work on the distribution for my whole neighborhood. He tried but it turns out the repair he needed to do was totally underwater due to the recent rain storm. So this is not something that happens frequently but it does explain the sporadic internet problem.

0 Kudos
mmortal03
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@junkmail wrote:

Thanks for your great suggestion. I have terrible cell phone reception where I am at. My new Pixel 6 just barely gets a connection. My daughter's iPhone has no bars. So the hotspot thingy probably will not work for me.

After multiple conversations with my ISP, they send out a technician to work on the distribution for my whole neighborhood. He tried but it turns out the repair he needed to do was totally underwater due to the recent rain storm. So this is not something that happens frequently but it does explain the sporadic internet problem.

I think there's a miscommunication between us, though. I can't think of very much that a technician would be servicing for your neighborhood's Internet service that would *only* affect your Roku -- meaning, if there was a physical problem like that, it would likely also affect your Internet access to content you're trying to access on all your other devices.
So, you're going to need to follow some steps to better describe the specific issue that you're having. I'd assumed that your Roku wasn't even connecting to your router (which still seems like the most likely possibility).
From the Roku main menu, you should go down to Settings->Network->About. Does it say your Network name, and under that, "Status Connected"? If it doesn't, then the first problem you need to solve is getting your Roku connected to your router again; nothing a technician does for your neighborhood's Internet service has anything to do with that. The technician would need to be working on your router in your home.
Please reply back with your results. I'm not affiliated with Roku, I'm just trying to help. 🙂

0 Kudos
junkmail
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

My Roku was the first device to notice the problem.  Roku is connecting  perfectly to my router.  Roku is not the problem. My ISP checked my  modem remotely and had problems. Still waiting for repair  when the water level along the roadside drops. 

Sorry if I didn't explain this in an easy to understand format.