Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: ROKU TV Suddenly won't connect to Internet - no problem before now

Jump to solution

@renojim shouldn't that setting be g/n? .11b is what is mucking things up. 😉

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@atc98092 

From the posts I have seen from the different Xfinity/Comcast users, it seems that the router needs to be set to b/g/n for mode/protocol rather than g/n in order for problem Roku devices to connect.  At least this is what has been reported as fixing the issue.

Although g should be backwards compatible with b, does not seem like the firmware is handling it as such.  Wouldn't be surprised if an Xfinity firmware patch is on the way.

Away from internet access with computers for a bit this week so difficult to research on a little phone with spotty service.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Just the opposite I've seen in other scenarios. But since I have zero experience with Comcast, your info is the best way to go. It does sound like they (Comcast) have a firmware issue. 

Dan

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@atc98092 

It also may turn out to be router dependent also.  Similar to the CenturyLink router issue.  The older ones handled b-enabled with no issues while some newer CL routers seemed to require the disabling of b in order for Roku and Fire sticks to operate/become discoverable on the network. 

Never seems to be an absolute with these things as you know. 

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I wasn't aware of a CL router issue. I have the C3000Z, which is a pretty new one. The first thing I did was  to set it to .11g/n only. That said, I have all my Rokus that aren't wired connected to a UniFi access point, although they all do see the CL modem as well. Same when I had my previous C1000 modems. My daughter as the C2000 modem with bonded lines, and they have two Roku players there as well (my old 4400 and 3600 Stick). 

It's amazing how many standards compliant devices (such as routers and modems) aren't really quite compliant with the standards. Sure makes life difficult for users like this. 

Dan

0 Kudos
anode505
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Its cheap consumer grade garbage. (the UniFi certainly isn't) but Roku and carrier issued modem/routers certainly are.

One usually gets what they pay for.

Speaking of which when can I enable wpa2-enterprise on the roku and be able to install the needed certificate?  (I don't run plain wpa2)

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

I've seen it reported that Cox routers also need to be set back to g/b/n.  @atc98092 , I know last year it was all about disabling g, but this year things seem to have changed.  Smiley Happy  It's hard to pin it on Roku or the router firmware.

I am not a Roku employee.
atc98092

Jump to solution

@anode505 wrote:

Speaking of which when can I enable wpa2-enterprise on the roku and be able to install the needed certificate?  (I don't run plain wpa2)

Don't hold your breath for that. Enterprise isn't something that a lot of consumer electronic devices support, as very few home users have the expertise to even set it up. 

Dan

mmortal03
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@renojim wrote:

It's hard to pin it on Roku or the router firmware.

I think it's just a blind dance being had between software admins at Roku and firmware admins of these routers. Roku software admins could probably do something about some of this stuff themselves if they actually cared to test compatibility of their products with various routers from various services, but I don't get the impression that that's happening.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@mmortal03 wrote:

Roku software admins could probably do something about some of this stuff themselves if they actually cared to test compatibility of their products with various routers from various services, but I don't get the impression that that's happening.

That would be next to impossible. Even if they only checked what's available in the US, there would be thousands of routers. Add in other countries and it becomes even more impossible. There are simply too many different devices to test against. The same goes for TVs and AVRs. Testing with every brand would be tough enough, but to test every model simply can't be done.

Dan

0 Kudos