Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChiroVette
Level 7

[RESOLVED] Problem With Alexa + Roku TV

Okay, I have a LC-43LBU591U, which I use for gaming and as a PC monitor on my computer desk since the input lag is so low for this set. I will be snagging a higher end TCL Roku 65" bedroom TV in the next couple of months (leaning toward the TCL-617R). Anyway, starting the day before yesterday I have been having intermittent Alexa problems with the TV, though the hard remote and remote apps on my cell and tablet all work fine.

It started with Alexa answering back, "I had trouble communicating with Roku. Check your devices Internet connection and power supply."

I tried everything I could think of, including having the echo dot "forget" the TV, removing it from the app, hard rebooting the set, reinstalling the Alexa skill and on and on. I spent an hour or two on the phone with Amazon's Alexa support. I FINALLY was able to get everything to work by forcing the set back to factory default, reinstalling all my streaming apps, setting up the set again on Roku's site, and then reinstalling the skill and running it in the Alexa app.

However, that only lasted a few hours. lol Now its back to me not being able to get Alexa to work with the TV again.

Note that it has worked fine for months now, up until the day before yesterday. Also note that ALL my other Alexa skills work fine with all three of my Echo Dots. Oh, and oddly enough, earlier today, while I was not able to get Alexa to turn the TV on, I was able to d things like turn it off or switch HDMI inputs once the set was on. However, now I am back to no Alexa functionality. So I have to assume something is odd with my set.

I also checked my Internet and my Router, and they are fine. I was able to temporarily get Alexa to work with the TV by force resetting the TV's WiFi connection to my router in the settings member of the TV.

Oh, and not sure if this helps, but this set is a Sharp Roku TV, not a TCL.

Thanks all! Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChiroVette
Level 7

Re: Problem With Alexa + Roku TV

Sorry just bumping this with an update. I will probably call Roku Customer/Tech support on Monday. Seems that there is some Alexa functionality for this TV, but its inconsistent and spotty. When I ask Alexa to turn the TV on, it says, "I had trouble communicating with Roku. Check your devices Internet connection and power supply." However, if I manually turn the TV, with remote, remote app on my phone, or with the hard on/off button, sometimes I can get some functions to work, such as asking Alexa to switch HDMI's.

I can also get Alexa to turn the TV off, but its odd because it ALWAYS takes two tries. The first time, the Echo Dot says "Okay," and the TV's upper right hand corner says "Thinking" as if it is about to turn off the set, but it doesn't. Then if I say "Alexa turn off Roku" the second time it turns off. So there is some sketchy Alexa functionality. 
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Do you have Fast TV start enabled?  Look in Settings/System/Power
0 Kudos
ChiroVette
Level 7

"RokuDale" wrote:
Do you have Fast TV start enabled?  Look in Settings/System/Power

Dave, no I did not have the TV set on Fast TV start. However, since you asked me about it, I logically assumed that whatever it was I had it set to I would set it to the opposite, LOL, just to try it out. Anyway I set it to enabled, and now it seems to be working with Alexa commands.

Thanks!
0 Kudos