Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bvd1022
Level 9

Questions about Roku TV's

Hi,

This is more of an idea for the future as I have several standalone Roku devices and am very happy with them as I have long been of the opinion that Roku is the number one streaming device on the market and will even go as far as saying that if every app that I need to use for my work were available on Roku, (Some aren't Facebook Video being the main app currently not available) I would probably not use different devices as needed. I have been doing some research periodically on Roku TV's in the thought of an eventual upgrade of my televisions in my home in the coming years. My question is in regard to aspect ratios/Picture modes, etc.

My current Vizio "32 TV that is currently in my home office has the ability to enable stretch mode for content that is non-HD (The type of content that plays with black borders on the sides of the screen) to fit the picture to as it was originally broadcast, prior to the advent of HD. It fits the picture perfectly and I can't complain because I watch a lot of classic sports content that has not been upgraded to HD on YouTube, ESPN, WWE Network, and other services. The television I have in my living room currently is a 60" Westinghouse TV that I have a Roku Stick connected to. It's a great device and I have no issue streaming HD content, but if I wanted to watch something non-HD, it only has an overscan mode in the picture settings and while it gets rid of the borders on the sides of the screen, it chops off the bottom of the screen and thus doesn't fit to a 4:3 ratio.  My question is seeing as I am very much pro-Roku and also seeing as most newer televisions are Smart-enabled now and I foresee that eventually Smart-TV's will be the only televisions available on the market, do Roku TV's have a setting to stretch the picture and get it to a 4:3 aspect ratio?  

I would also like to know seeing as I've never used a television with built-in Smart features, are the Roku TV's safe in terms of not being able to be compromised? I remember seeing stories on the news in recent years about certain brands of Smart-TV's notably Samsung being compromised, broken into, etc., which has made me a bit hesitant to think about buying one even though as I said when that day comes, it will be a Roku TV that I will choose. I was just wondering if there is anything I should be concerned with even though I am a few years out hopefully from needing to upgrade my televisions.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
blade_005
Level 10

Re: Questions about Roku TV's

My TCL Roku TV has the following PICTURE SIZE options. I find that older 4:3 content on channels like Cozi-TV and Antenna TV present just fine with AUTO setting.

PICTURE SIZE OPTIONS:
AUTO - Auto Detect and show best image size
DIRECT - No change, show the full picture
NORMAL - Slight zoom to hide noisy edges
STRETCH - Stretch the image sideways to fit the screen
ZOOM - Zoom video without stretching
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

"blade_005" wrote:
My TCL Roku TV has the following PICTURE SIZE options. I find that older 4:3 content on channels like Cozi-TV and Antenna TV present just fine with AUTO setting.

PICTURE SIZE OPTIONS:
AUTO - Auto Detect and show best image size
DIRECT - No change, show the full picture
NORMAL - Slight zoom to hide noisy edges
STRETCH - Stretch the image sideways to fit the screen
ZOOM - Zoom video without stretching

First, I apologize for the late reply, been a bit busy lately. That seems like it would be what I would need as far as older content, but what about the privacy issue I mentioned. In fairness, I've never had a problem with any of my Roku devices and have been a Roku user for years, but like I said I've never used a TV with a smart platform built-in so based on what I've heard of what has gone on with Samsung and Vizio with regard to their Smart TV's I am a bit concerned. In fairness, the Vizio TV I have has been very reliable, but when it comes to streaming if the day comes where I'll need a new TV and will almost certainly have to buy one with a smart platform built-in as is increasingly becoming the norm, I'd rather go with what I know and that would be Roku. Thanks again, I appreciate it.
0 Kudos
4d3fect
Level 7

Our original 37" Vizio just died, and we ended up buying a 43"  TCL Roku TV to replace it.  Regarding any privacy issues, well, upon initial setup, you're asked to enable/disable "recommendations." We declined. I figure your viewing stats are still being logged anyway, just like before when we had a Roku 2XS standalone unit.

We're happy with the new display, and the OS makes for a very familiar environment, only hiccups were:
1) the provided remote is a dog--you have to be practically on top of it to make it work. Luckily we already had a harmony smart hub/remote system which we'll use
2) setting up / patching in the HDMI ARC between our receiver and the new TV was sort of goofy, had to dig deep into the device menus, but got it sorted.
3) advantages of 4K remain to be seen, literally.
4) Off-angle viewing is not as good as the old Vizio
5) WAF is very high for the new display
TCL 4K Roku TV S403 / 7101X
Wired ethernet 100 Mbps give or take
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

While like I said I am a few years off (Hopefully) from needing to upgrade my televisions, I've already decided that when the time comes based on some research I have done on the newer TV's and the thinner designs and such that I will probably be investing in soundbars too. I hear they in theory, are simpler than a home theater set up with multiple speakers. I have one in my living room that hasn't worked in years that had a DVD player built-in. It was great while it worked and I was able to shut the TV off and listen to music on DirecTV's music channels, which was great considering that my office at the time was in the area and I would have something to listen to  while I did my work (I'm a writer). I didn't have a Roku device hooked up in there until a year or so ago when I decided to add more devices to my home, but the first thought that went through my mind was I wish I knew what I was doing so I could hook up a Roku to surround sound. Hopefully, a soundbar will solve that for me when I gradually upgrade my TV's because I've heard the sound on the built-in speakers on the thinner/newer TV's can be a bit flat depending on what you're watching.

Based on everything I've read, TCL seems like a very solid company, but I also tried looking up info with regard to picture modes for non-hd content for some of the other brands that are incorporating the Roku platform into their televisions to compare, but I couldn't find much even on YouTube, with regard to Sharp, RCA, and Phillps. I did find plenty of stuff on TCL though so at least it's given me some info for when that time comes. I'm surprised Vizio hasn't gotten on board with Roku yet, but that's me. My first HD TV was a Sony Bravia that lasted I want to say six months because the LCD panel blew after cleaning the screen. I couldn't get it fixed so while sending it to Sony for a replacement, I went and bought the Vizio that I have now and I have to say, I was very surprised how well it does compared to the "Big Brands" considering that it gets a lot of use even after years, but as far as the cleaning blunder, we went and bought one of those wet cleaning solutions (Not Windex, One of those "Water-based" solutions with a microfiber cloth). I assume that's what caused the problem with the Sony set, but from that day on we've used screen cleaning wipes. Hasn't had an issue since. I was thinking that Vizio would probably benefit more by partnering with Roku as compared to trying to develop their own platform that from the best I could tell in my research is a bit hit or miss as far as quality of apps and needed support. Just an observation.
0 Kudos