cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Question on the new Roku Soundbar

Jump to solution

I apologize if this has been addressed but I couldn't find it.  I already have a Roku tv (TCL) and it's set up exactly the way I want it.  I was interested in the Roku Soundbar but I don't need the Roku player that's integrated into the soundbar.  Can I just install the soundbar but not use the Roku player from the soundbar?

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Question on the new Roku Soundbar

Jump to solution

@Trigger7  Yes. The Roku Smart Soundbar can be used for the audio/soundbar functionality only. 

Let us know if you have any other questions we can help answer! 

Cheers,

Tanner

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@Trigger7  Yes. The Roku Smart Soundbar can be used for the audio/soundbar functionality only. 

Let us know if you have any other questions we can help answer! 

Cheers,

Tanner

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
If i get the the soundbar basically I will have 2 remote controls because my Roku TV has already remote contro? Feel is a waste money
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Unfortunately this advice appears to be incorrect. Unless you use the soundbar software, you cannot get sound through the soundbar and the soundbar doesn't have Dolby Vision. Because of this bad advice, I now have to go to the trouble of returning the soundbar. Disappointed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution
The Roku Smart Soundbar can be used as an audio output device for a Roku TV, without utilizing the built-in streaming player. You can see more about how to set that up here: https://support.roku.com/article/360035093774-how-do-i-set-up-my-roku-smart-soundbar-with-my-roku-tv...

Dolby Vision support has never been stated as a supported feature, but that's a great suggestion. The product page here has details and specs for you to review: https://www.roku.com/products/audio/roku-smart-soundbar

Feel free to drop by our 'Suggest a feature' section of the Community to share any requests!

Thanks,
Tanner
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

That is exactly the process I followed Tanner and it did not work. Maybe I don't have a tv that is compatible with the "automatic process" but either way, the soundbar will not work independently from the soundbar Roku player.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have a similar question, series 4 TCL Roku tv paired with an ONN Roku soundbar.  The soundbar shows as a separate input on the TV (like a DVD player or other device), and while this is where one tweaks the soundbar settings (voice clarity, volume leveling, etc.) I am wondering if those settings "hold" when you use the TV Roku streaming platform?

Is there any reason to ever use the soundbar input (Roku from the soundbar) rather than Roku from the TV?  Other than using it for a bluetooth speaker for your phone, etc.?  I have an ethernet connection to the TV but the ONN soundbar is wifi, so isn't quite as solid a pipe as the ethernet - hence my desire to use the TV Roku versus the Soundbar Roku.

But I want to make sure that when using the soundbar as a "dumb" speaker and streaming off the TV Roku platform, do the features of voice clarity and volume leveling still work or does one have to stream off the soundbar Roku for that?

I'm also noticing that the soundbar remote turns on and off both TV and soundbar, bu the TV Roku only works on the TV - anyway for it to turn on/off the soundbar also?

thanks

Dan

0 Kudos