Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwal90

Question Regarding Digital Optical output

Jump to solution

I recently purchased on the Roku Streambar on the assumption that the digital output (via toslink) could be sent to my older surround sound system. 

I have the digital optical cable running from my streambar to the input of my surround sound receiver but can't see any options in the Roku menu to set the sound output to my 5.1 system.

Am I doing something wrong or does the streambar not support digital output?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Question Regarding Digital Optical output

Jump to solution

From the setup guide, this is all I see in terms of the optical cable:

Under What's Included: "Optical cable (optional) Only use if your TV does not have an HDMI-ARC port."

Under Connect to TV: "Don’t see an HDMI-ARC port?  Use the included optical cable along with the HDMI Cable to connect."

This says to me that it is meant for input from the TV if your TV doesn't have HDMI-ARC.  For your usage, an HDMI audio extractor is probably what you want.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

From the setup guide, this is all I see in terms of the optical cable:

Under What's Included: "Optical cable (optional) Only use if your TV does not have an HDMI-ARC port."

Under Connect to TV: "Don’t see an HDMI-ARC port?  Use the included optical cable along with the HDMI Cable to connect."

This says to me that it is meant for input from the TV if your TV doesn't have HDMI-ARC.  For your usage, an HDMI audio extractor is probably what you want.

0 Kudos
jwal90

Jump to solution

Really disappointing, looks like I'll have to return. 

My surround sound system is getting on now so might be time to upgrade to something with HDMI pass-through.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yeah, I was debating whether to ask why you went down the soundbar path when you already had an audio system that was probably better.  AVRs that do HDMI are very nice.  I remember removing many many cables with splitters, switches, and other kludges when I converted from an audio-only receiver to a fully HDMI-based system.

0 Kudos