Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tpsmith82
Level 7

Problems connecting certain TCL Roku TV channels to internet

So I've recently purchased a new TCL 50S423 and have been using it error free for a month or so with a ISP (Century Link) provided Modem/Router ZyXEL C1100Z.  I am trying to set up a network for guests, we have an AirBnB, that is secured from my own.  So I decided to purchase a seperate router that will offer more features.  I purchased the Linksys WRT1200AC.

So,  I have put the ZyXEL into Transparent Bridging Mode.  Entered my PPPoE username & password in Linksys Smart Wifi router settings.  Changed Static DNS 1 to 8.8.8.8 and Static DNS to 8.8.4.4

Router shows internet on LED's.  I can connect to internet from laptop, mobile device etc...so it is working correctly.

However when I go to use TCL TV I run into problems.  The TV will connect to internet.  When I run a "check connection" from TV menu I get an all ok.  However, when I go to one of the apps, Prime video/ Roku Channel or some others I get connection errors.  

Prime Video shows error code 5004.

Roku channel just loads and freezes.

However Halmark/ YouTube/ Vudu... channel all work just fine?

Not sure what to do.  I'm guessing there must be a setting in the router or TV somewhere I am missing.  Any help would be great.

Thanks

4 Replies
90Carat
Level 7

Re: Problems connecting certain TCL Roku TV channels to internet

Did you ever figure this out?  I had the exact same issue with the ZyXEL C1100Z.  After double checking that everything else could stream, and even the Netflix app on the Roku had good network connection, I switched to a Netgear modem.  All channels started streaming again.

0 Kudos
beddiaalex
Level 7

please tell me there is an answer? i am now having this issue. i can connect to the internet. it says i have excellent signal strength. my pc and laptop can connect. and i have been using my tv for months now without an issue like this. all of a sudden, the apps will not work, and when i go back to check the connection, it will either say "not connected" all of a sudden (only minutes or seconds after "connecting" to my wifi). I could see the apps like hulu and netflix, but could not run them. It would also ask me where i was located (in a home or dorm/hotel). This is after having it set up in the same spot for months as i mentioned above. Please help. I have no idea what to do. I tried a complete factory reset. Did not work. I have restarted my router. All of my apps are gone now and the problem persists. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@beddiaalex 

Thanks for the post.

If you channels are missing from your Roku TV, this would indicate that you are currently not connected to your wireless network. If you've factory reset your TV and we not able to resolve the issue, have you tried connecting to an alternate wireless network, such as mobile hotspot, to see if you are able to connect for troubleshooting purposes?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
90Carat
Level 7

Did you put in a new modem, or did any of your network hardware update the firmware?  My issue was the Zyxel modem/router and the specific firmware.  I replaced the modem/router, and everything worked just fine after that.  

0 Kudos