Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bob51
Channel Surfer

Re: Problem with latest update. Suggestion to fix Live TV channel navigation

Ok thanks.... I know what that is(532) but trying to figure how to in my router. However update is already in tv. Wish I could restore back to previous update then block from there on.   Thanks again -

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@bob51, something else you can do is leave your Roku TV connected to the internet (to use for streaming), but use an external DTV tuner (connected to HDMI) to watch antenna tv.

I'm playing with an iView 3500 right now. It's the best of the three I looked at (Mediasonic HW-150, and ViewTV AT-300 which was essentially unusable out of the box.). They all seem the same. The software/UI is almost entirely the same. 

I'm not thrilled with these. I was hoping they'd work as well as the old, voucher-era "DTV converter" boxes. I had two (Zenith & Digital Stream) that were very pleasant/intuitive to use. I was hoping these newer tuners would be like that. They get the job done. But, the UI is rough. I like the iView 3500 better than the HW-150 because the remote is larger, easier to use/read. The IR beam doesn't seem as narrow/particular. (The AT-300 was broken out of the box. Their AT-263 has good reviews. Maybe I should have compared that. But, ViewTV said they're all the same, and the AT-300 is the newest. But, apparently it has some issues the 263 doesn't.).

I'm probably going to keep the iView just for its DVR recording capability. It has a "passthrough" option so you can watch tv using the tv's tuner while the external tuner records a show on a different channel.

I think using the factory reset tv tuner (never connect to the internet) will work better. I don't know. These external tuners have direct 10-key numeric access to channels. Also, fast continuous channel changing. Also favorites.  In some ways they're better than Roku's interface. But, in some ways a little rough. 

Anyway, that's an option too. Instead of factory reset without internet (and have a usable antenna tv interface while using an external streaming box), you could use the tv for streaming, and use an external antenna tuner. Either way, I'm liking the options. I'd like to not have all my eggs in one basket again. I'd like my tv to be more modular. 

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
bob51
Channel Surfer

Hmmm...I do have a couple of analog digital tv converters boxed away somewhere. One was a Digital Stream and can't remember the other. That probably would work even though  not thrilled having an extra device sitting around. Only use a couple of streaming channels on 2 tv's out of 3. Will have to check to see what's available WITHOUT Roku on it. Don't understand why Roku and others think they know best what consumers want. Their loss.

pikkygirl
Channel Surfer

Bottom line it is a CFS that subscribers have to revert to all these fixes and work arounds when Roku just needs to give us the choice or at the very least LISTEN to the people who are their bread and butter!  This is just a step in a monopoly but I think many will become disenchanted and ROKU may find itself in the position of cable and satellite companies.  I have Fire as well on another non smart TV and will be learning it.  My current ROKU TV is on it's final leg and I want to be be ready when I do buy a new TV! Probably won't be another Roku device!

Larry4

Ya did not work for me, I check the box and streaming channels are still there.

0 Kudos
pikkygirl
Channel Surfer

One thing I did find to do was to use the voice app on my phone .  Works very quick.  

mpgcena
Binge Watcher

You seem to have a good handle on the TV, but I thought you might find this interesting (not in the owners manual). Some might not apply due to system updates.

Scan for Live TV Broadcast Channels

After the initial antenna TV setup it will probably be necessary at some time to rescan your local broadcast channels. To do this, go to the Roku home screen, select settings, select TV inputs, select Live TV, and then select scan for channels.

Set to All Channels or Recent Live TV Channels

Although Roku live TV does not support favorite channels, they do support recent channels. I don't recommend the recent channels settings because the TV has total control over them (you don't) and in time all the channels you've watched will show up on that list. (?)

However, to select all channels or the recent channels option do this, from any live TV channel you're watching use the left button to pull up the channel menu. Then use the left button again to select the channel number/ Network. Then use the star button for view options and the right button to change from all channels to recent channels. I stay with all channels but knowing how to switch from one to the other is what's important.

Hide Live TV Streaming Channels

In the live TV menu you will notice a lot of Roku streaming channels. You might want to look at these to see what's there and you can also hide them if you wish.
To hide the streaming TV channels ( only on the live TV selection) go to Roku home, then settings, then TV inputs, then live TV, and select hide streaming TV channels. Check the box hide all and only the broadcast TV channels will show up in your channel menu. Other streaming services such as Spectrum or Pluto will not be affected.

Color, Contrast, Brightness

For control over your picture settings, color as well as brightness, go to any streaming service or live TV and while watching a channel press the star button to bring up the options menu. Scroll down to picture settings and select.

Streaming channel favorites

Favorites in streaming channels such as Spectrum, Pluto, or Roku are controlled by the app itself and not the Roku TV. As a result, they are all different.

The Roku channel is fairly straightforward. Use "continue watching" for favorites. You can select a show in continue watching to see all the episodes and also remove it from the continue watching list.

For spectrum, while watching a program use the left button to bring up the channels menu and hit the left button again to bring up the sort and filter menu. To add a Channel to your favorites list do this: while watching a channel press the back arrow button and use the right button to highlight guide and press OK. Then at the other channel menu (Spectrum has 2) press the left button again and press okay to add to favorites. The back arrow will exit one screen at a time.

Hope this helps.

mpgcena
Binge Watcher

Some other settings you might be wondering about.

Scan for Live TV Broadcast Channels

After the initial antenna TV setup it will probably be necessary at some time to rescan your local broadcast channels. To do this, go to the Roku home screen, select settings, select TV inputs, select Live TV, and then select scan for channels.

Set to All Channels or Recent Live TV Channels

Although Roku live TV does not support favorite channels, they do support recent channels. I don't recommend the recent channels settings because the TV has total control over them (you don't) and in time all the channels you've watched will show up on that list. (?)

However, to select all channels or the recent channels option do this, from any live TV channel you're watching use the left button to pull up the channel menu. Then use the left button again to select the channel number/ Network. Then use the star button for view options and the right button to change from all channels to recent channels. I stay with all channels but knowing how to switch from one to the other is what's important.

Hide Live TV Streaming Channels

In the live TV menu you will notice a lot of Roku streaming channels. You might want to look at these to see what's there and you can also hide them if you wish.
To hide the streaming TV channels ( only on the live TV selection) go to Roku home, then settings, then TV inputs, then live TV, and select hide streaming TV channels. Check the box hide all and only the broadcast TV channels will show up in your channel menu. Other streaming services such as Spectrum or Pluto will not be affected.

Color, Contrast, Brightness

For control over your picture settings, color as well as brightness, go to any streaming service or live TV and while watching a channel press the star button to bring up the options menu. Scroll down to picture settings and select.

Streaming channel favorites

Favorites in streaming channels such as Spectrum, Pluto, or Roku are controlled by the app itself and not the Roku TV. As a result, they are all different.

The Roku channel is fairly straightforward. Use "continue watching" for favorites. You can select a show in continue watching to see all the episodes and also remove it from the continue watching list.

For spectrum, while watching a program use the left button to bring up the channels menu and hit the left button again to bring up the sort and filter menu. To add a Channel to your favorites list do this: while watching a channel press the back arrow button and use the right button to highlight guide and press OK. Then at the other channel menu (Spectrum has 2) press the left button again and press okay to add to favorites. The back arrow will exit one screen at a time.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Dmcguirepm

This solution from Mike is doesn't seem to work with on my Roku TCL S327. Other options?? I'm stuck in Recent with no option to get to All...

0 Kudos