Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pikkygirl
Channel Surfer

Re: Problem with latest update. Suggestion to fix Live TV channel navigation

What he said!!!

Austinsus
Channel Surfer

I was easily able to remove the live channels from the antenna input, but it left me with the inability to change OTA channels due to a painfully slow TV guide.  Longtime Roku user who has never used this forum.  Do they ever respond  with a fix? 

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@Austinsus wrote:

I was easily able to remove the live channels from the antenna input, but it left me with the inability to change OTA channels due to a painfully slow TV guide.  Longtime Roku user who has never used this forum.  Do they ever respond  with a fix? 

There's been no confirmation that anything is (recognized as) broken, or in need of being fixed. 

Something seems to have changed with the guide & program info (displayed when changing channels). I don't know if they used to use broadcast EPG info, and now use an internet guide. Or, if something changed in how that internet info is retrieved. It seems to have gotten slower and more intrusive. People without internet can't watch antenna tv because a "loading..." msg appears. They didn't have this problem before the update. Now, Roku's demanding program info, and the overlay won't go away until it gets it, apparently.

So, I wonder what that would look like if someone had slow internet service, and/or congested/interference 2.4g wifi.

I'd be looking at that stuff. Some internet services became oversold during the pandemic (work from home). If you have slow speeds or lost packets and jitter/latency issues, maybe that would cause the guide info to appear slower.

If your wifi supports 5g, I would ensure the tv is connecting to that (assuming the router's not a long distance from the tv). If not, I'd try a different 2.4g channel, Some routers have a "map" that will show all the devices it sees. You could pick a channel with the least devices maybe. (You could move the tv next to the router first, and see if that even makes a difference. If not, then it's probably not your wifi causing a slowdown.).

I think the real problem is how Roku writes its software. Your environment could make that worse. You could have already had a network problem, but the latest way Roku wrote the software made your network issue more visible. For example, you'd think that if someone's watching tv, you'd acquire the program info for all channels in the background. When they change channels, use the info you have (don't keep going out and getting the same info over and over, with the 2 second delay each time). 

IMO, it's that kind of uninspired development that is the problem. Plus not testing. Or, thinking customers will take whatever they get. You and I might think "this is horrible." They might have seen it and thought "just takes some getting used to." (Reminds me of a Abbott & Costello skit where a suit is made entirely wrong. "Hold your shoulder up this way. Turn your waste a little that way. Lower this hand down here. There! It fits perfectly! (as the person is contorted unnaturally).).

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
Th156uy
Channel Surfer

Re: Fix Live TV Streaming Update

I was in another discussion where everyone was freaking out about this same thing, but I could not replay or comment to tell them these steps. hopefully they find this or stumble upon the setting in the TV themselves

pikkygirl
Channel Surfer

Was the fix just to remove streaming channels?  I did that but still have to scroll through 40 channels to get to one local and it is forever slow.  I have started using the voice remote on my cell to get there !

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Left-arrow to the guide, and ensuring "all channels" is selected (if not, you have to left-arrow again into that column showing the channel numbers) and pressing "*" will let you make it "all channels." Then the up/down keys scroll pretty fast through the channels. You can press enter to go to a channel.  (The << & >> keys will scroll by pages. That might help, especially if you wanted to use the streaming channels.).

Still not great to me. But, might be easier to use than your phone(?).

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
Vappuhn

The latest update is very frustrating. The missing favorites and slow channel navigation does not enhance Roku’s popularity. I did hide the streaming channels to reduce channels to scroll through, but normal channel changing is still too slow, as if a subroutine is run with each click. 

Then a weird thing happened. I had another tv on in the room (non-Roku), and I used a universal remote to type in a channel number for that tv. Lo and behold, the Roku set accepted the numbers and changed directly to that channel. I knew that the universal remote would scroll channels and adjust volume on the Roku tv, but never had direct channel access before. The channel numbers were displayed on the screen as I typed them, just like other TVs. I was very excited! But that only lasted a few hours, then it would not work. It would work again every now and then.

So, I decided to buy a new universal remote, and try again. My tv is a Sharp Roku, so I chose that code to program the remote. No luck. Then I tried a code for a non Roku Sharp, and it worked! I was excited again! It worked for quite a while then quit again. Since then, it works occasionally. Just now, as I am typing, I checked and it is working.

This means that there is a way to have direct channel choice on a Roku set.

It still feels like some algorithm is running with each remote access that slows everything down. It feels as if it is running a scan or search every time you hit channel up or down.

pikkygirl
Channel Surfer

That does make it a little faster!  Thanks!  

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

I just experienced a rollercoaster of emotions. 🙂 I'd be very happy if I had numeric-remote access. Today I received my three external DTV tuners. I bought an Inteset 4-in-1 programmable & learning remote too. I'll try it with the Roku tv today, if there's a code for it. (Sometimes these remotes will have a process where it tries different signals, and when the tv responds, you press a button to say "one of those." Then it narrows down further. I don't know yet if this Inteset has that. That could be an easy way to find a code set that would work, instead of trying different ones.).

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@Vappuhn wrote:

I used a universal remote to type in a channel number for that tv. Lo and behold, the Roku set accepted the numbers and changed directly to that channel. ... But that only lasted a few hours, then it would not work. It would work again every now and then.

So, I decided to buy a new universal remote, and try again. ... it worked! I was excited again! ... then quit again. Since then, it works occasionally.

FYI, I tried a universal remote. My tv is TCL. After trying 2-3 TCL codes, the tv responded. The tv recognized the numeric buttons. They appeared on the screen. But, the tv wouldn't change channels. 

When you think about it, that's pretty messed up. All Roku has to do is operate on the buttons. They obviously see the customer doing it. It's just a matter of changing the channel for them.

People have been asking for a numeric remote for years. Roku has time to replace favorites with a broken "recents" feature, but can't just change the channel when it knows  the customer wants to do that? 

I've said this a few times, but it just keeps becoming ever clearer: I would *NEVER* believe a company could conduct itself this way. If someone told me the things I've seen the past 3 weeks, I'd think they have an ax to grind, embellishing the story, etc. It wouldn't be believable.

Not long ago the CEO said:

“People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got.” (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019).

"Amazed" is one way of putting it.